Back Bumper rack for water barker tote and grey water totes.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by vinmaker, Aug 30, 2014.

1. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Hello everyone,

I have three of 6 gallon aquajugs and a 10 gallon barker waste tote that I would like to transport on the back bumper.

These are the 6 gallon units I have.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Desert-Patrol-6-Gal-Water-Jug/16537207

They are not heavy but are bulky and I think would transport best on the back bumper. I was thinking of bolting a plate behind the spare tire to take advantage of the tire mount. I would then bolt a platform to the bumper using U bolts or something. This would support most of the weight and the frame bolted to the tire mount would give me a back frame to bunjee cord up to and keep the items off the camper paint.

Anyone do something like this? Looking for some pictures or something.

Thanks,

Vin.

2. Phranc

Phranc New Member

On the back bumper of the PUP? Just be aware you can't carry those water bottles filled. That's 150 lbs of water on that number. You will never be able to pul the tongue down to connect it to the ball. :)

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I'm thinking THIS^. In addition, won't putting too much weight on the rear end will cause the pup to sway while you pull it at highway speeds?

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I have had this thread in My to do list for a few years now. Two good designs and plenty of ideas here.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=91083.0

If the totes are empty, you can stack on your bumper all day. But for me, I don't like the cluttered Beverly hill billy look as you roll down the road and at some point, the added weight becomes an issue on the flimsy bumper set ups. Just my [2C] .

5. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I mounted a Jeep rack on the back of my pup, use it to carry a few things - Leveling blocks, chainsaw, fuel, DS's bikes, etc... actually works great for packing out trash. I've been using it for about 4 years and it has worked great.

[​IMG]

6. infamousdave

infamousdave New Member

I'd like to build a rack to hold 2 of those same 6 gal. water totes the OP is talking about too. I have seen a picture of one somewhere, I thought it was here?

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

^^^^^^
    I built a rack for one 6 gal Rhinopak that works well. As long as the containers are empty, 2 shouldn't be a problem.

For anyone considering this mod, be sure you don't cover up the license plate. Illegal in some states.

8. infamousdave

infamousdave New Member

Got any pics?

9. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aside from the fact that this could/will unweight your tongue and possibly introduce sway, be sure that when/if you do this mod, you tie it into the frame rails, and do not rely on the marginally attached (welded) rear bumper on a pup.

Otherwise, you could end up like this, or worse:
    [​IMG]