Back from trip - TV is Broken

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by lbcarr87, Jul 28, 2013.

1. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

[:(]
    Had our July outing and it was a great time, until the end. Took a 2 1/2 hour trip to Prarie Rose State Park near Walnut Iowa. DD and her Beau rode with me. DW had to work Friday so she picked up DS in Omaha on her way. Campground was great. It had a nice little lake and good sized sites. The fishing wasn't great, as they had to drain the lake last year and restock it , so nothing but little catch and release types. Had great food and fun outdoor games with our kids. Made Jalapeno poppers over the fire and had campfire cones for desert. MMMMMM.
    Sent DD, her Beau, And DS off back to Omaha this Morning in DW's car. We had the camper packed and ready to go so off I went with DW. Trip was going great until....... About 20 miles from home something went wrong. Lost coolant all of a sudden, Warning light flashed, Temp guage started to rise quickly, Engine overheating. Luckily there was a "parking only" rest stop right where we were. Quickly turned on the heater to try to take some heat away, then I heard the serpentine belt break as I pulled off the exit. Coasted up and shut down the engine.
    Ugh, Overheated and belt broke, Coolant all over engine compartment. Called FIL and he came to the rescue. Called tow truck too since without power steering and breaks we can't tow our TV the 20 miles home. FIL showed up, with his truck, a short time later so we unhooked the camper and hooked it to his truck. DW and he headed home. DD and her boyfriend were on the same rout home after dropping off DS in Omaha. They got to the rest stop just before the tow truck. Tow driver arrived. Pulled my Truck onto his flat bed and will drop off at our mechanics place. I got in with DD and headed home. FIL helped get the camper back to its spot in our back yard and we proceeded to unload. All is back in it's place except the TV.
    I'm bummed but at least we had a great outing and the breakdown was close to home and somewhat manageable to deal with. I just hope the damage is not too serious and the repair costs will be minimal. Thankfully I took tomorrow off from work too, so I can deal with finding out what's next.

2. efehser

efehser New Member

Sounds like your water pump seized. Glad everything worked out!

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

"Sounds like your water pump seized."
    Pop it off, slap a new one on.
    Ready for the weekend!
    I hope. [:)O]

4. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I will guess water pump as well. We lost one back in late May. We were lucky and were close to a friends house (we were still 100 miles from home). They gave us a ride home and threw the new water pump and belt on for me. We drove down the following weekend and picked the TV up. We were not pulling the pup when it happened.

I have decided to start making friends at strategic points along my travel routes in case of emergencies. I used to belong to a motorcycle forum and they compiled a coast to coast list of people willing to help a stranded riders with tools, truck, spare bedroom etc.

5. Indy

Indy Member

I feel your pain. We had major brake issues on the way home today. DH is dealing with it now. We were just 5 miles from the house, so we limped home very cautiously. Had we known how bad they were, we wouldn't have tried that.

6. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking water pump as well. Just had the belt changed a few months ago and the fact that it broke after the coolant loss tells me it wasn't the culprit.
    The Dealer I bought the truck from has a pretty good policy. They will fix any vehicle, that you buy from them, for the cost of the parts only. No labor charge and they even show you the receipt for the parts. I feel I'm in pretty good hands. They may not be able to look at it today but are putting it on their schedule so now it's just wait and see.
    I'm thinking 300 - 350 bucks for new pump, gasket, hoses, fluids and belt kit. So we'll see, I really hope I can get through this season with this TV. A newer one has been on my mind for a while but I'm hoping to wait until next season for that.

7. efehser

efehser New Member

That 99 Chebby should be good for 200k+ miles easy!

8. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Mine broke before the trip and had to borrow my nephew’s truck to go on trip. Then about 10 miles into trip warning light came on telling me trailer brakes unhooked. Finished trip anyway ¾ ton 4x4 Dodge truck with new brakes can handle my pup. Brakes will be checked out next week light came on after going over some junk in the road so thinking maybe a broken wire.

9. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Update: TV is back in working order. Thanks to our dealers policy of only charging for parts and no labor, the repairs were not much more bucks than the tow, ha ha. As most here said, it was the water pump that failed. Luckily hoses were ok but needed new clamps and the serpentine belt didn't break, it just came off. It was only about three months old so the mechanic inspected it and determined that it was Ok. New water pump and fluids and we are back in business. I guess this is just another way to get the cooling system flushed :) Still going to look for upgrading TV next spring and will be looking at the same dealer. Their service cant be beat.

10. Indy

Indy Member

Glad you got everything resolved. Thanks to a handy hubby, we have no brakes, rotors, & calipers and we are all set too.

No kidding about their service and policy -- amazing! I'm tempted to make a trip to IA when I'm ready to buy the next TV.

11. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Please tell us that you meant NEW brakes, Rotors & Calipers, not NO!!!

12. Indy

Indy Member

Haha - yes new. Unfortunately, we had essentially "no" brakes, rotors, & calipers on the ride home (at least on one wheel). There was a scary moment when the brake pedal hit the floor while towing. :(