Back issues, and kitchen setup.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by dbhost, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

For those of us with back issues, standing at the stove / washbasin / sink, basically one position for more than a few minutes, we can experience a great deal of pain that I wouldn't want to wish on anyone.

The fix I am finding at least outside of the camper is a folding bar stool.

The question is has anyone else dealt with this and found a solution that works inside the camper? I am not sure there is enough of an aisle inside the camper to set up the stool and ot be placed immediately over the stove...

Just looking for solutions...

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I think there is room for a stool (a simple one) in my popup. There is over 3 feet between the sink and dinette but only ~29" between stove and bathroom. So floorplan will be important if you're thinking of using a bar stool. I didn't realize until I just went out and looked how far out the slide goes! I don't know if you want a big popup but if you do, look for a well-placed slide.

[For me, the height of the work surface makes a big difference for back comfort while standing. The popup counter is a little lower than household standards, but is okay because I'm short. The counter in my truck camper is extra high and working there messes up my back in places I don't normally have issues. (No way no how am I fitting a stool in the truck camper but it would sure be nice!)]

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Hmm. The floor plan is a bit different, It's a '96 Coleman Santa Fe I am working the trade on...

[​IMG]

The dinette has been modified however, and is now an L shaped dinette with free standing folding table. Basically the table was swapped out and the back bench was modified to go all the way across.

This floor plan is close to stock, but the sink / stove are backwards, and I believe what they show as a double bed is actually a queen. So where this shows the sink, but where the stove on mine really is, accross from that is the port o potty cabinet. I think there is enough room there for a stool. No port o potty pun intended...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

For a lot of prep work, use your dinette table or picnic table so you can sit. Chopping, seasoning, breading and so on. A nice quality anti-fatique mat can help for short stands at the stove and sink.

With the way I cook, I find I am not standing still for more than a couple minutes at a time. If there is something on the stove requiring stirring, etc., I usually move around putting other stuff away in between stirs.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but thats why when i make sauce, it takes a whole bottle of wine.......

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Not compatible with certain meds.. :-(

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, my big concern was really all about those days when the weather forces us to prep / cook inside.

The biggest issue is long sautees like properly browning house fries. For most thing I can walk back and forth, but there are just some things that require you keep on top of them on the stove...

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That kitchen layout looks like it would work pretty well with a stool.

dbhost likes this.