Back problems, arthritis and getting the stabilizers down.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Balone42, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

Hi everyone. I had problems getting the stabilizers down and out on the Tacoma. I have discovered that a tire iron and a huge screwdriver are the perfect tools for the job. I have a tripod stool I sit on for support. My jacks are not screw down or easy lower types. Just the plain old spring loaded ones that come standard. I discovered that by putting the shovel shaped end of the tire iron into the lower part of the square you see at each corner of the trailer I can get the spring loaded jack to push out. Once it is out I hold it in position with a large screwdriver and reach around the corner of the Pop-Up and slip that shovel end of the tire iron between the extended jack leg and the bottom of the trailer and push down on the handle of the tire iron. (The lever system discovered by the ancients [:D] ). If I have lubed it well, and I do so all the time, with WD-40 it flips down easily. Be sure you have screwed the tongue jack down so the back of the trailer is up in the air at a good angle for reaching under and then raise it high enough when you are getting the front jacks down to make it easier to reach in front. I bought a nice tripod stool with a back rest on it at REI for camping and it works much better than any folding chair with arms. (They get in the way)

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

Just a comment here. My Coleman manual says not to lube the stabilizers if I read it correctly as it can cause them to slip from the extended position. Use with caution.

3. camping_girl

camping_girl New Member

I don't think I can do that with mine. Stabs have to go down after roof is up, which means pup has to be level... [?:~{]

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to replace those stabilizers with "screw down" models and then use an electric drill to raise and lower them.

5. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

I found a big Stanley step stool at either Lowes, (maybe Home Despot or WallyWorld) but it is big, has the weight capacity for tiny demure me, and it doesn't have side rails so you can turn on it while sitting on it. It's about 15" tall. I figure it's going to be about the first thing out and last thing. I can use it to sit on for cranking the top up and down, cranking down the stabilizers and putting the bed braces up and down.

(although rigging up a torque control brace for my huge old 1/2" drill is on the list of things to do. Horsing that drill around may be worse on my back than anything else),

6. singledad

singledad New Member

I have asmall folding camp stool I can sit on. Weis Markets sell them.

7. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I believe the"not lubing" refers to the legs themselves. I don't see any problems with lubing the pivot points at the top of the stabilizers.

8. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

+1 for U-T post.. I was thinking replace the swing downs with screw downs also.

9. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

I have to have one of my grandkids crawl under and get mine up and down. I would like to learn mor about "screw down" legs

10. singledad

singledad New Member

you can search electric stabilizers. I is what I might go for when I have the $.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Balone42

Thanks for sharing what works for you.

I've previously read about pushing on the rear or top of the stab to get them to swing down.

12. lindad44

lindad44 off and running

this will help arthritis mix 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey into 1 cup warm water drink. even if you have to hold nose. do it every day only once a day. in a couple of months you will tell big difference.

13. Twisty

Twisty New Member