Back to the drawing board ...

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Camper_Dave, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

So I spent all last week wading through the Portals Sea of Knowledge looking for some inspiration. I was looking to find some tips and tricks on improving the storage capabilities of our PUP.

Through all the great ideas I came across I settled on adding a front storage box and then doing the PVC tube mod.

To my dismay, after taking a close look at both the tongue and the back bumper the PVC mod is probably off the drawing board. I don't think I'll have enough clearance on either spots. I was hoping to use a 6" pipe because I want to be able to stow the bunk supports in it.

As for the front storage box, the hardest part will be finding a box that will fit on the tongue. I don't have much room up there. I only carry one LP tank so that helps. I have an area of about 25" from the tank to where the bunk supports end up and 19" from the front of the PUP to tongue jack.

I took a look at Walmart last night but it was like Goldie Locks and the three bears ... one box was to big the other too small .... nothing just right!

Oh the trials and tribulations of PUP mods! Leaving for a week long trip on Thursday so the storage box might have to wait till we get back.

On the bright side we get to camp next week [LOL] The glass is always half full in my books and if its not ... I just top'er up and keep drinking! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

2. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

Check around for roughneck boxes and surplus military ammo cans , you might befurther ahead to mount multiple boxes.

3. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Because of the rear bumper clearance issue, I have heard of placing the tube on top of the bumper and then securing with cable ties. Of course, it's only temporary and has to be redone in your going out and your coming back - but what's the worse, going broke from buying the ties ...?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_hardware_fasteners-ft1_cable_ties_batten;b3321ec6.html

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

check around the truck accessory shops. you might be better served looking for one of those boxes that mounts along the side of a truck bed than across it, also, maybe a truck stop or a place where big rigs get parts, some of those have some pretty ingenious storage compartments

6. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

Ok ... so I gave up on the PVC pipe bumper mod for now. My main objective was to clean up and organize our front compartment ... otherwise know as the "junk drawer".

It's a big space where we keep the bunk supports, axe, tools, crank and levelling/stab blocks while travelling. I figure the space is about 12"x16" by 4 feet long. So I want to utilize it the best way possible because we can access from the inside of the PUP.

After clearing out the space I realized that the previous owner had so much spare lumber under there for levelling that's where all the space was going. I decided to mount some utility hooks on back side of the compartment to store the bunk supports. I first screwed the hooks on to a 1 x 4 then mounted that board to the vertical support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also attached a utility hook on the opposite side to hold the crank handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the floor space in that compartment is free and open. I will still need some space for a tool box and the essential lumber, but I can already tell how much that area has opened up. The DW love it because we have more storage.

I'm still going to keep my eye out for a tongue box, but now I can be patient and wait till I see the right one.

7. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

You should invest in a BAL leveler and get rid of the lumber thats taking up all that space [:D]

8. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

9. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

In good time my dear jwolfe in good time![LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Aladin ... that's exactly what I want to do, but I have been looking for the bigger ActionPacker ... the 26 gal version. I can only find the smaller one around here ... but I will definitely be referring to your post on how to mount that bad boy!

10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We use several of the larger action packers to store all our camping gear. We have had them since we where tent campers. They work great. I chose the smaller one for this project since it fit the space I had available, and we keep things like wheel chocks, the lift crank and a few scraps of wood to put under the stabilizers.

11. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

Ya, that's exactly what I want mine for ... plus a little tool box that I carry odds and ends in.

12. papachaz

papachaz New Member

looks great so far Dave! i like those hooks, where'd you get those? i can see some of those in my future