Back to the subject of Generators....

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
My pup battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge anymore. I had an electric hookup site last week (and it snowed!) so I was glad for having an electric heater to keep things warm.
I don't have AC in my pup, but I do generally like to use a lot of fans, and occassionally heat. I can probably be fine overnight, but solar just won't cut it when its snowing/raining/ or when the site has too much coverage. I can't recoop enough electricity on that alone.

I have two Inverter generators, one is rated at 58DB and the otherone is 57DB. They are very quiet, but even quiet can be loud if its pitch quiet.
I am guessing running it during the day isn't much of an issue, but if the temps are in the low 30's I'd like to run it overnight for a space heater.
In PA the generator rules seem very generic. ". Campers must not disturb the sleep of others between 9:00 P.M. and 8:00 A.M. Electric generators that create excessive noise are prohibited."

Any thoughts?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
To , clarify , quiet time is between the hours of 9 0m and 8 am. So any noise then is not allowed.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
How long do you camp for? Get 2 batteries and solar, should be good for a while. If thats not possible get a propane heater. Like a mr buddy. From what you posted, no generators after 9 pm. And loud generators are prohibited at all times.
I ususally aim for at least 4 days/3 nights. I do have a big buddy (with the fan!) I find it hard to find non shaded sites sometimes. and it ALWAYS seems to rain whenever I go anywhere.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I would think if you had 2 batteries, you should last 3 nights. Without solar. That is at a reasonable inside temp. If the heater is running full blast all night, I honestly dont know. But if set for like 60ish I think your good. You may need to add some reflexdex or simmiller insulation to the inside of the pup.

McFlyfi

Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
I broke down last year and bought a generator (actually 2!), but I am only bringing this one. 900 watts won't run a space heater, but paired with a 20 amp battery charger, I can get to 85-90% charge back on the battery in a couple of hours. Can run it off of a 1lb propane bottle as well as the 20lb'er.

Running a generator all night to accommodate an electric space heater wouldn't be allowed in just about ANY developed campground.

With a Big Buddy and heat retention measures (blankets over the windows, PUGS, sealing up any noticeable gaps, rugs on the floor, reflectix in the windows) you shouldn't need anything more than the Big Buddy.

You don't say whether your pup has a furnace, if it does and you are using that and that is what is draining your battery overnight, heat retention measures and a small generator + battery charger could work very well.

Last edited:

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I would think if you had 2 batteries, you should last 3 nights. Without solar. That is at a reasonable inside temp. If the heater is running full blast all night, I honestly dont know. But if set for like 60ish I think your good. You may need to add some reflexdex or simmiller insulation to the inside of the pup.
I don't have heat in my unit :) it's a none propane propane pup!

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I broke down last year and bought a generator (actually 2!), but I am only bringing this one. 900 watts won't run a space heater, but paired with a 20 amp battery charger, I can get to 85-90% charge back on the battery in a couple of hours. Can run it off of a 1lb propane bottle as well as the 20lb'er.

Running a generator all night to accommodate an electric space heater wouldn't be allowed in just about ANY developed campground.

With a Big Buddy and heat retention measures (blankets over the windows, PUGS, sealing up any noticeable gaps, rugs on the floor, reflectix in the windows) you shouldn't need anything more than the Big Buddy.

You don't say whether your pup has a furnace, if it does and you are using that and that is what is draining your battery overnight, heat retention measures and a small generator + battery charger could work very well.
No furnace, and runninf the heater off about 800w is sufficient. The mattress heater works wonders. I do have a big buddy but I didn't want to have all that moisture from the propane if I could avoid it. Wife won't really let us camp any earlier than April and two weeks ago we got snow and rain.
Luckily I knew it might still get cold and night and got a site with electric.
10 bucks a night extra for electric is actually more convenient for me than lugging and fueling a generator. It was just a thought for when I can't get one with electric....

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019

How do those propane generators compare with typical gas-powered ones in terms of noise?

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
Have you considered installing a diesel heater like goes in over the road truck sleepers? They operate on 12 volts and should be fine with a reasonable battery source. You are going to be hard pressed to find any public camping area that allows any generator over night.

McFlyfi

Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
How do those propane generators compare with typical gas-powered ones in terms of noise?
It's a cheap generator, so the noise level is obviously going to be higher than a Honda or Yamaha. I would say that the sound level is comparable to a similar (cheap) gas version, no better and no worse.
I went with propane because I know my track record with small has engines (lawn mower, weed whacker etc), and I just didn't want to deal with the maintenance that those little carb engines require.

At the same time, I bought a dual fuel, 2500w Champion generator for home use. It will never have gas in it. I can power my fridge, modem, tv and cable box during the inevitable power outages here in California. I have 7 20lb propane cylinders on hand, an at least 4 of them are full at any given time.

Last edited:

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Have you considered installing a diesel heater like goes in over the road truck sleepers? They operate on 12 volts and should be fine with a reasonable battery source. You are going to be hard pressed to find any public camping area that allows any generator over night.
I do have one. I just didn't like the way I configured it. I guess I can work out the details some more to make it more appropriate.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
It's a cheap generator, so the noise level is obviously going to be higher than a Honda or Yamaha. I would say that the sound level is comparable to a similar (cheap) gas version, no better and no worse.
I went with propane because I know my track record with small has engines (lawn mower, weed whacker etc), and I just didn't want to deal with the maintenance that those little carb engines require.

At the same time, I bought a dual fuel, 2500w Champion generator for home use. It will never have gas in it. I can power my fridge, modem, tv and cable box during the inevitable power outages here in California. I have 7 20lb propane cylinders on hand, an at least 4 of them are full at any given time.
I'd double check the instructions... Most of those dual fuel units want you to do a break in on gas.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Don't use electric heat, and replace your battery with a good battery or two and you should be fine, top it off during the day with either solar or one of your Inverter generators and you are good to go.

Latest posts