Backing up a camper

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by PopUpSteve, Jan 19, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Here’s a great example of how to backup a camper.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hell of a wide street! And i wish you could see the front wheels. They did really good though.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Good movie, he has it down pat and has some great ideas. Thanks for sharing

4. Haguan

Haguan New Member

Man thats what Im most dreading atm before our first camping trip. I can imagine stuck at the site trying to back in the pup and a long line of vehicles waiting to get by... I need to camp more for the practice of backing in the pup. I've backed up a boat and got my pup into my driveway but never tried it at a campsite and as i recall the roads are usually narrower as well as the sites. One day Ill be that good at backing... One day... lol

5. Haguan

Haguan New Member

Man thats what Im most dreading atm before our first camping trip. I can imagine stuck at the site trying to back in the pup and a long line of vehicles waiting to get by... I need to camp more for the practice of backing in the pup. I've backed up a boat and got my pup into my driveway but never tried it at a campsite and as i recall the roads are usually narrower as well as the sites. One day Ill be that good at backing... One day... lol

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Take it to an empty parking lot and practice. Backing up my boat is way different than the pup.

J Starsky and Haguan like this.
  7. Haguan

Haguan New Member

I had the same thoughts but still an empty lot is not like a campsite with narrow path and wooded driveway into site. Im sure the width is wider than what i think i remember them being.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I taught my kids to park using orange cones and some laths. Make yourself some poles and practice backing up between them.

bookooc likes this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My boat is aluminum, I could not see it on some ramps when backing up, I pop riveted small pieces of metal flashing on each side in the back, now I just stick the back up adjustable orange ball one on each side and i can see exactly what the boat is doing, once launched I remove the magnetic items and store back in my TV. Works great for hooking up a trailer too.

Haguan and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. JLE

JLE Member

One little trick I just heard this year is to put your hand at the bottom of the wheel, ie at 6 o'clock (not at the top, 12 o'clock) and then turn your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. Kind of works...

Haguan likes this.
  11. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I am only on season 2 and I take it very slow. Some things that help.
    - Placing your hands on the bottom of the wheel really does help. That way right moved the trailer right, etc. Once I have the trailer moving in the direction I want I move my hands to the top.
    - The rear view camera in my van helps let me know how the wheels are oriented.
    - My wife is my spotter and she only tells me what the trailer needs to do, I then figure out what the car needs to do.

Haguan likes this.
  12. Haguan

Haguan New Member

Yep Ive used that method. The problem I have is the pup reacts quickly to changes so its alot of adjustments. I'm sure as i do it more often I will get a feel for when to start countering the turn to make a smoother transition from turning to straight backing. I tend to over or under turn by turning the wheel back either too early or late.

13. Haguan

Haguan New Member

I was thinking of buying the wireless battery operated backup hitch camera from RVS but too many things to get and prep for camping so I will be relying on my wife to give assistance for the most part for now. My next purchase will either be the camera or a thetford potti for the kids. I wanted to install an actual camera on my truck but way too expensive atm. However, i like the ability to place the wireless camera on the back of the pup to see what the pup is doing since some turns end up being blind due to angles.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I find most campgrounds to be easier than my driveway. With campgrounds, the sites are usually at an angle to the road, so you drive past and make a slight turn as you back up - you pop right into the site.

With my driveway, I need to get as close to 90 degrees as possible. I have an alleyway across the street that is just enough off the 90 degrees that I can't go straight in. Then there's the additional part that I have just enough room to park the trailer next to the suv - with the clipper parked behind the suv - and have barely enough room to pull the clipper out without hitting the trailer. At some point, I will cement a bit more of my front yard so it's not quite so tight.

Haguan likes this.
  15. Haguan

Haguan New Member

I never really paid attention to how camp sites were setup when i was pitching tents. Now that we are planning camping trips with the pup, we visited a couple campsites and the first thing i looked for on each site was how easy it would be to back in the pup and how level are the site and side clearance for the pup. I noticed many of the sites are as you said but some are closer to a 90 so i noted to avoid those until i get better at backing in. For now it seems turning the camper to angle to a site on the left is easier to see than on the right (more of a blind turn) but having a spotter works in either case.

16. bookooc

bookooc New Member

The worse thing that can happen to new campers is arriving to your campsite at night, and in the rain. 10 years or so this happened to me on my first trip with my son to Jekyll Island. It was pouring down, couldn't see a thing. Lucky for me the campground host took us to the site, and helped guide me back into the site. He was a pro, and a good thing, since the pad was surrounded by pine trees. Really easy to back into a tree. I own several boats, and have little problem backing them up, but the hardest is something short, like a popup, a jet ski, or a utility trailer.

17. bookooc

bookooc New Member

And yes, this guy has a wide street. Also no mail boxes on the street. That's the biggest problem I have backing my boat up. The mail box at the front of my driveway is always in danger of being taken out by the front of my truck.
    My son drives an 18 wheeler for a sports car race team, and I am amazed some of the narrow spots he backs that thing into at race tracks. When we go fishing now somewhere, I make him back up the boat. LOL He can do it in his sleep. But he says the same this guy says, shorter is harder than longer. Its also easier with an SUV as opposed to a pickup truck in tight spaces.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. My first trip out was just like this. Kind of hard to do, but ignore them the best you can. It took me a little over a half hour to get the camper on the pad. The line backed up and the second I was in everyone cheered. Talk about embarrassing. However had a neighbor come over and congratulate me. Saying we've all been there as new owners and not to feel bad.
    for myself I only managed to get a little practice in as apparently in my area abandoned parking lots are owned and police will tell you to leave the private property. Kind of stupid if you ask me. So most of my practice was going on multiple camping trips. Now 5 years in and I am pretty darn good but even now I still slip up and the start of every season I have to practice again to jog my brain in how to think that way again.

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Jekyll Island would be bad during the day. Never seen another campground with sites so tightly packed.

20. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I kept thinking he would keep on backing into another challenge after the garage, like a tunnel, then molten lava, then a swinging blades on a pendulum.

Such a boss trailer guy. Thanks Steve for sharing.

Annunzi and campfire Joe like this.