Backing up anyone??

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Yak, Jul 17, 2013.

1. mandl

mandl Member

I really admire you folks that can "back up" very expertly. I enjoy watching your "job well done" and also am entertained by those of you that have skills like mine. I used to fear this aspect of camping, now I see it as a challenge, still do not like it, but no real anxiety about my failure (which is the rule).

mandl

2. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

Last time we went to Cave Springs which is a very small campground with tight spaces and tight roads [but I've seen 30+ Class A in there] I saw a guy pushing his pup sideways [total jackknife] with his female companion almost in tears ... I calmed her down and helped him but I must admit I was laughing the whole time. Told him it happens and he'll get better ... then we watched a Russian couple backing into the space across from us ... she was giving hand signals like at an airport ... and shouting in Russian back and forth; the funniest thing I've seen since the Long Long Trailer!
    My Father taught me [his youngest] how to back a farm trailer when I was 10; but apparently he never taught my older Brother. Bro backed his monster Fleetwood into the corner of my house! Didn't hurt my house but punched a hole in the Fleetwood's fiberglass corner! Funny AGAIN!

3. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

My wife is the same way. And add the screaming kids in the cab with me.

Best time I had was when I was unloading my car from my old car trailer. You had to jack the trailer high, and put boards under the ramp. I said if the front lip is going to hit say stop.

I here this.

UHH UHHHHH UHHHHHH hey UHHHH yeah UHHHH

Not stop in there...!!!

4. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

Best advice I ever got on towing, too!

Oh yea, big time. My 40"x48" Harbor Freight trailer is so hard to back up, that I usually just disconnect it and move it by hand.

Steve

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Lengthen the tw bar on it. Adding 10-12" of length will drastically improve the tendency to wander whie backing. I think it's a leverage thing.

6. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

As I watch some people struggle backing in, it makes me glad I grew up on a farm. We would hitch the hay wagon behind the baler being pulled by a tractor. Dad wouldn't let me unhitched everything to back the hay wagon into the barn.

By comparison, backing the pup is a breeze.

There's nothing like time behind the wheel.

7. Talonman

Talonman New Member

I asked my wife how her first trip alone went, I got a text back "I almost had it" but a fellow camper behind her was waiting so he helped her back it in. I took her car and the PUP to get gas and I thought I was stuck for sure but her car is only 17' long and the trailer is 19', what a breeze compared to my truck and car trailer, I drove away from the gas station thinking man 35' TT is for the birds.

She tried and got help, that's a win win IMO. The amount of people watching also makes the job harder.

8. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

+1 on the walkie-talkies and we take it one step further. I give specific instructions by radio outside the TV where I can see exactly how things are going. Instructions go something like this: "Turn your wheel 1/4 turn to the left. Stop. Now, come back slowly. Stop. Turn wheels 1/4 turn to the right. (straighten) Stop." And so forth. This works equally as well for directing the rehitch hookup.

No miscommunication, no shattering the tranquility of the forest, no camping trip started with hurt feelings and every driver with a license should be able to be guided in this manner as long as everyone agrees that stop means stop. NOW!! [:D]

9. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

My husband is an exceptionally patient man,,,,,,,,,

because I suck as a helper [LOL]

I want to go to an empty church parking lot on a tuesday or something and practice, practice, practice.

10. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

When we arrive at the campsite, I jump in the drivers seat and DH directs me into the spot. I'm much more particular about where I want the camper placed and he's much more patient watching me back it in. I go slowly, allowing plenty of opportunity to turn the wheel the other way in case I get confused!

When putting it in the garage, DH does that and we use our cell phones. Put it on speakerphone, set it on the passenger seat, and it's easy!

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Bring a few 2X6's and lay them out. Practice backing the pup into the boards using only the mirrors from right angles. Concentrate on the "swoop" so to speak, and pre-setting the trailer for a given target. Once you get it, you will perfect it with practice. It can be done with any pull trailer.

12. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I really suck at backing up. DH has done the backing in on our first 2 trips, but next trip I'll be the one. I have tried backing into our space in the driveway and I am not good. The site we have for the upcoming trip is spacious, so I am hoping it'll be OK. Thanks for the advice about holding the bottom of the steering wheel. I just need more practice.

13. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

Work SLOWLY! That way you have time to correct before anything goes really wrong!

14. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

this is just too funny. I do the driving and backing while the DH jumps out trying to direct me and I can actually do better by myself. He will tell me to turn the wheel a certain way when the wheel actually need to go the opposite way and than when he doesn't see the wheel going the way he thinks it should be than he is freaking out telling me no thats not what I want you to do. I've learned to get out of the TV and ask, where exactly do you want the pup to be sitting? I than get back into the TV and totally ignore what he says and tune him out completely. I know he means well and thinks he is helping me but in reality, it takes me twice as long when I listen to his directions. When we come home I leave the pup in the street and wait until the next morning after he goes to work to back it into our driveway under the carport. Generally I can get it in 1 or 2 shots but with his help it takes 5 and 6 tries.

15. jackk

jackk Member

What I got from the video makes perfect sense. "turn towards the problem" meaning turn towards what you might hit.

16. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Thanks for some good advise. My friends have had a lot of fun at my expense. Cheap entertainment until now [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O]

17. yollama

yollama New Member

jayco1997, my experience EXACTLY!

I am not the greatest backer upper, but have gained confidence I can do it and I handled backing into the last couple of campsites I visited on my own, as well returning it to our driveway at home on my own by making sure I got home while DH was at work.

Been awhile since we tried to work together .... today we arrived home at the same time in two different vehicles (from our weekend campout). He tried to help me and I just lost it after 45 min of trying to listen to his guidance! Finally I drove down the street and turned around, let out a few expletives heard only by me, came back and did it myself.

I hate being upset with each other over something so silly; we should be able to laugh it off but grrrrrr!!!

I like your idea of just parking it on the street until the next day when he's not around. It might take awhile, but I'll get it done.