Backing Up This 32 Foot Camper Is No Joke

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Kittyhawksurf, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

Okay friends. I don't exactly know where to post this, but...

I've been backing up this 32 foot camper in an out of the driveway for a couple of weeks. We haven't gone camping yet because we are still prepping. WDH hitch, truck, loading, etc. I managed to back into my house and crack the fiberglass on the camper, dent it and also damaged my house slightly. I'm an insurance agent, but there's no way I'm filing that claim. It's relatively minor damage... bla, bla.

Anyway, the point is I need a good back-up camera. The camper is prewired for a Furrion camera, but I've heard some horror stories about those cameras when reading the reviews. I want a nice camera that I can turn on and look behind me while driving. I don't know if different cameras use different connections.

Does anyone have any suggestions for GREAT quality backup cameras?

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Check out 4UCam digital wireless camera. "Digital" makes the difference.

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Get the Furrion OBSERVATION camera, it's much better than the regular back up camera. That said, it sounds like you probably should go to a parking lot and practice instead of your driveway, also sounds as though either your driveway is too tight for a rig that size OR you are overcorrecting too much. Don't get in a hurry with this process (backing up), take your time and don't be afraid to get out and check frequently. Once you get the hang of it you will realize it really is much easier to back that rig in than it was a short pop up

jnc likes this.
  4. Kittyhawksurf

Thanks. I hit the basket ball goal yesterday and put a big scratch down the side. I learned how the back swing the opposite direction when turning. Lesson learned.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

This thread totally freaked me out. I brought home my 29 footer last night and I was SO apprehensive about getting it into the driveway AND hitting the roof of my house with the back end. We got it in the driveway... smack in the MIDDLE, but close enough to unhitch and play in it last night. I was sweating it, but it actually turned better with a longer distance between the hitch and the axles than the PUP did. The PUP jack knifed so easily. Anyway, sorry your first back in was eventful, but it heightened my alertness.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I hear you. When we bought our 32-foot TT last fall I realized it was quite a bit different than the Pup. The first storage spot we rented didn't have enough room to maneuver and getting it in and out of the shed was a real PIA not to mention DW's Irish temper.

I can't help with the camera recommendation but I found this on youtube and it really helped me. You might want to give it a look. [:)C]

jnc likes this.
  7. Kittyhawksurf

I think I'm going to order that Furrion Observation camera. I'll give it a try and if I get one of the bad ones I'll just return it. Thanks for the help.

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I assume you have proper trailer tow mirrors. Don't back in anywhere real tight unless your mirrors show BOTH sides top and ground of trailer.

Longer trailer is easier to back up than a short one, but more planning needed due to space.

When in doubt...get out and look!

RockyRoo likes this.
  9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

One word......Spotter! Get someone to help guide you as to where you want it to go. You can't see and therefore you are backing up blind. As a few have said, the longer the trailer, the easier to maneuver.

J Starsky and WVhillbilly like this.
  10. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Amen to that! I have a short little 8x5 utility trailer that is far more difficult to back than my boat since it jackknifes so quickly on me. The double-axle boat is much longer and is way easier to control, you just have to be conscious about your depth and height! My pup is somewhere in between the two...

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This one campground I go to, its not unusual to see tree limb size holes in the back of the bigger campers. Many people are more concerned about what's on the side or behind them, but fail to look up. So I agree in addition to a backup camera a spotter will still be needed. you got a bigger and taller camper so Eve's on houses, tree limbs etc are now going to have to be on your radar. If you don't have a reliable spotter than expect to get out a lot and check up, Down, and all around.

RockyRoo and durhamcamper like this.
  12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The best item I have found to help was a front mounted hitch. I have found is that much easier to shove a trailer into a hole than to back.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Doubt that would work too well with a 32' TT since all you'd see in your windshield is the front of the trailer. Keep the trailer on the back and use mirrors.

durhamcamper and jnc like this.
  14. durhamcamper

Not to mention the weight on the front end suspension and steering components

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Having proper towing mirrors, learn how to reverse using them and where and when able, use a spotter.. Use the camera system as an aid not a crutch..

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

It does bottom the suspension out....but with a spotter it works better than backing into a tight spot

17. Kittyhawksurf

Thanks for all the comments. My spotter is constantly chasing the three year old and then managing the other two kids as well. I love my DW, but it's a lot to work out to use her as a spotter and even if I could it would be with the assumption she would have divided attention which is not good. I'm really comfortable backing it up except for the distance part. I just can't tell where the back of the trailer is yet and I think the backup camera will seriously help me get trained with whee the back of the camper is in relation to my mirrors. I have a RAM 2500 and totally thought the mirrors were sticking out far enough, but I can't see both sides clearly, so I'll keep that in mind as something that needs to be corrected. Thanks again for all the contents.

18. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Keep all the kids strapped in the vehicle, so mama''s not chasing them around, until you have backed up the trailer to where you want it.

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Your mirrrors dont need to be looking at the side of the trailer they need to be look at what is in the next lane.

durhamcamper likes this.
  20. durhamcamper

For the sake of a few more minutes with possibly noisy kids still strapped in vs the cost of damage to a brand new TT this is what I would be doing for sure.

Kittyhawksurf likes this.