Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers

beemerboy

Feb 13, 2009
North East Connecticut
What I do is to take the pepper and cut the stem end off, take a table knife and carefully clean out the seeds and webbing - don't cut in half - I then stuff about half way with a extra sharp cheddar cheese and the rest with Jimmy Deans breakfast sausage. Wrap with bacon and cook in a smoker or a low indirect heat for a couple of hours until the pepper is soft then crisp up the bacon over higher heat.

lbcarr87

Super Active Member
Aug 29, 2009
These are great, I've been doing my version for years. I mix in crushed walnuts and shredded blend of cheddar & motzeralla with the cream cheese prior to stuffing the peppers. I usually leave a little bit of the seeds in for a little extra kick.
I really like the sausage idea beemer. I just may have to give that a try.

fritz_monroe

Super Active Member
Jan 31, 2006
Oh, yeah. I've made tons of these from the jalapeno peppers in the garden. My wife and kids don't eat them, so they are all mine. Muhaha.

20100921_poppers.JPG

TentOnWheelsTX

Jul 30, 2012
fritz_monroe said:
Oh, yeah. I've made tons of these from the jalapeno peppers in the garden. My wife and kids don't eat them, so they are all mine. Muhaha.

20100921_poppers.JPG

Can I come camping with you!!!???

I figured I wasn't alone in my pepper popper love! Great ideas, ya'll!

grubbster

Apr 12, 2012
These are commonly referred to as "atomic buffalo turds" or ABTs for short [:D]. Not sure why but if you search on that name you will find a lot of info.

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
We do these a lot as well, though we don't cut in half...we cut off the top and stuff them with the cream cheese...then I put a match stick of sharp cheddar right down the center and wrap them with bacon. I put them on the grill, indirect heat using similar to this:

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892939593&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping2&mr:referralID=30b4cc98-2372-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

Good stuff...but the Doc doesn't wanting me eating so much bacon and cheese these days [:(] .

Idahawk

" Esta Perpetua "
Apr 1, 2011
We call them ABTs Atomic Buffalo Turds.

I use a little smokey instead of breakfast sausage

Craig57

Mar 29, 2009
Whenever I fire up the smoker I make a bunch of these. For the folks that don't like the jalapenos you can substitute the little sweet red & yellow peppers. DW likes it them more which leaves more ABTs for me.
I'll have to try these in the DO next time. They wont have the smokey flavor but should still be good.

DLynn44

Mar 22, 2010
I did them whole, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon then wrapped them in foil and tossed them in the coals for 5 mins turning several times and they were awesome!

jdesiano1

A bad day fishin is better than a good day at work
Jul 11, 2012
I cut in half put cream cheese then a lil smokie then wrap in bacon and cook. The little smokie is easier to handle than the crumbled sausage (does taste differ tho)

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Sort of the same difference, take a really good country meat market hotdog if you can get them, split it down the side and put a strip of cheese and diced Jalapenos inside, then wrap it up a couple strips of thick sliced pepper bacon, then deep fry it. Very tasty but not too good for your LDL [:D]