Bad day for towing!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I can't imagine the feeling that driver was going through. It's a good thing the weight was not on the back end of that camper or he/she would have been having the worst day ever. Like mentioned the camper looks to be in pretty good shape as long as the tow operator knows how to do his job without causing further damage.

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Am I the only one that wants a refund? They show you a perilous result, and then don't bother to film the recovery! I'd really like to watch the recovery; the best way to do it is with a lift of some sort, but that's not at all cheap. jnc, I'll bet they only muscled it back over, which would have put a tremendous strain on the front axle and then a major SNAFU if both axles dropped on either side of the concrete barrier. Then, it would have dragged the entire length of the rear frame rails until it dropped off the barrier and back onto the axles. I'm betting the rear stabilizers are toast at the least! Man, I want a refund...

Reactions: jnc

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
I would hate this to happen to me..Hopefully they get it back over without more damages to the unit

mstrbill

Mar 17, 2013
Austin , Texas
That appears to be a current model Ford Explorer. I am not up on TTs, but looks to me that maybe the wheelbase was a bit lacking for that big of a trailer.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
One of the articles I read earlier indicated another vehicle lost control and spun out, striking the side of the trailer and knocking it over the wall. You can see the impact point on the side of the trailer in the picture.

petefuller

Aug 27, 2017
They'll likely call in a large tow truck with a rotating boom and use slings to put it back on the roadway. Drivers insurance may be on the hook for any damages to that concrete barrier and engineers don't work cheap.
I'd stand back from the latch on the trailer ball.

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Well, here ya go, folks; the recovery video! Skip to about 1:30 for the actual recovery ...

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/local-news/camper-hanging-over-edge-of-interstate-275-overpass

Not a bad job. The only additional issue(s) might be some damage on the upper corners of the rear roof from the side load of the cable, but for the price, I think that's probably to be expected. Someone commented on the news article that the recovery probably cost more than the TT, but I think they're missing the big point. What else would you do, push it over the edge and clean up the mess down below? What really surprised me was that they didn't stop traffic on the lane below during the recovery. What if the whole enchilada had turned loose and plunged down onto the top of some poor unsuspecting smartcar? GULP!!!

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
I'm sure the camper is totaled anyway. Frame looks bent to me, plus the other damages from the impact.... just saying...