Bad Etiquette Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Fundy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. IVBENS

IVBENS Member

I haven't experienced the bucket light but I'm right there with you, Funday. I'm kinda OCD when it comes to light when I sleep. My wife still believes my self diagnosis of my being born with extra thin eye lids.
    I have no problem approaching neighboring campers to ask them to dim or turn lights off for overnight, I've never had anyone get confrontational about it.

2. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Not sure but I think that guy in the video is Mountain Man from Duck Dynasty [:D]

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Nope, the guy on the video speaks way too quickly for it to be Mountain Man.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

So true on the darkness. I remember a Scout campout in Belgium... we got in late and the CG had ONE 1,000 watt bulb on a pole. As soon as we got set up, it went out and for the first time (after about 30 minutes) we could really see the Milky Way on edge. It was incredible (but also very dark in a land full of tent guy lines!).

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Here is ours.... decorated for a friends wedding at a dry camp music festival in WV.....It was dubbed " The Redneck Chandler"
    notice the gas bottle sticking out the bottom....
    [​IMG]

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Well, I am seeing what looks to be responsible Bucket Light usage, being housed under a canopy and done *ahem* tastefully.

I'm beginning to think that there's more to this than meets the eye. It would explain some of the reports of...
    [​IMG]

7. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Trying to convince wife to let me make a set of bucket lights on a string to hang instead of the tacky lights. I can see a purpose to everything and at the right time.

8. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

The main reason I like to camp is to be away from the noise, lights, etc. of the small town I live in. Some campers think light is like noise, more means better. I say turn off the noise and turn off the lights!!! Makes for a more pleasurable camping experiance.

Happy Camping!

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

You just can't fix stupid.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yea I being deaf, appreciate the light in communicating with the deaf friends at campgrounds. I was at a KOA in Dalton GA where the Deaf Campground club was met I saw the bucket light for the first time.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I agree, never seen the 5 gal bucket. But I can not stand any light left on all night. maybe a small porch light. But I like it dark. Lately it seems people are inconsiderate and leave all sorts of lights on all night. When you go to bed turn off your lights.

12. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Like the idea...bucket light. Hmmm I guess that makes me a 'redneck'. It's good to be a redneck. [LOL] I've got to hand it to the guy, he's resourseful! And I love those camo crocs! Everyone is different, that's what makes the world go 'round. But I can see how that light could bother folks if it stayed on all night.

I have tacky lights but I cut them off at quiet time and turn on my porch light until we go to bed then we turn that light off. I like it dark when I sleep.

Campit

13. ghri49

ghri49 Member

I am guilty of liking the bucket light, but there is a time and place and all lights should be off when you go to bed and very little light on after quiet time. usually for us the only light we have on is the campfire. if we need more than that thats what a flashlight is for. definitly thinking that a BB gun may need to be kept in the camper now. Dont have nothing that small but im sure i can find one cheap.

14. acevesj

acevesj New Member

I've never seen these, totally new to them...I usually always carry my 10x10 screen rooms, problem solved... :)

15. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Light is good, at least for a coleman collector.

I usually bring a half dozen lanterns camping and lite em all. But I usually shut em down by 11 or so and might leave one going till I go to sleep.

No one has asked me to put em out yet so I must be doing something right :)

If I leave a nite lite on its a small nite lite type but that's it.

Jerry in MA

16. Skoshi

Skoshi New Member

Usually my group only has headlamps and flashlights + 2 camp lanterns with 6 of us there.

This year I switched it up and got a 6 foot rope light and velcro'd it to the top of my screen gazebo... and then we always shut it off at like 11 or 12... that was more than enough light for the entire base camp.

My buddy had also brought a work light... he turned it on for a second and like everyone there was like "NOOOOPE... put it back.. way over kill"

Never seen a bucket light.

Most the light pollution I usually see is the huge bulbs they put up at the rest rooms.

17. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

A bucket light with a low wattage bulb to make a soft glow might not be so bad for the evening. Set on the ground with just enough light to make it romantic could make for an enjoyable time with a glass of wine, a loaf of good italian bread and some cheese and a willing companion.

Then you would have to refer to the post about "doing it" in the camper ...

18. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Most PUP campers we know prefer the "outdoor" experience at bedtime which includes quiet and darkness. To the newbie camper: it isn't necessary to light up your site like a convenience store - ain't nobody gonna steal your stuff. Do us all a favor and turn off the lights at bed time.
    [/quote]

Amen [SNZ] [SNZ] [SNZ]

19. Sdickson501

Sdickson501 New Member

Had to rehash this? Lol im thinking we are fixing to get those tiny led solar lights like Christmas lights to light up our awning area just enough :)

sent from my samsung galaxy s3 using tapatalk

20. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

If we leave anything on its the lights for our awning. Little bit of warm light and no complaints to now. We want the animals to be able to see the food they want. [:D]