Bad Regulator?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by S4nsc, Feb 8, 2021.

1. S4nsc

S4nsc New Member

Was testing all the appliances today on a new to us Aliner. When we purchased it we just asked the previous owner to light the stove as she said she didn’t use the gas at all. I know, shame on us for not testing everything before buying.

So far the only thing I can light is the stove. Stove lights and flame seems adequate, not a lot of experience for comparison. Can hear sparking for heat and refrigerator but nothing lights.

When trying to light the hot water I realized I didn’t smell any propane on any of the attempts to light anything (heat, refrigerator, hot water heater). Soap bubble tested the nozzle (?, orifice maybe?) on the hot water heater since it is easlity accessible and was getting no bubble to form with the dial in “pilot” and “on”.

Mounted tank says it was 7/8 full but still switched to a known full tank to verify tank wasn’t empty. I may have opened the gas valve too quick the first time but closed valve and then very slowly opened valve with no change. Actually went through the slow open a couple of times.

Does this sound like a bad regulator? Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Common thing also for both the fridge and water heater is spiders made a nest in the propane tubing so not enough propane is able to make it through enough to light. There could also be air bubbles in the line and you first need to run the stove for a few minutes longer. I know for my furnace it always takes me a few try’s to get it started at the beginning of the season after non use.

SteveP and xxxapache like this.
  3. S4nsc

S4nsc New Member

I pulled the burner covers on the hot water heater and fridge. No dirt or anything of note. I had found a video on common fridge problems so I had blown out and vacuumed the burner/burner area. Any other way to clean out the potential spider webs?

I also let the stove run for a while. Didn't exactly time it. And probably tried the furnace 7 or 8 times with no luck. Maybe I just need to let it burn longer?

I think I am going to replace the regulator and rubber hoses anyway. The rubber isn't cracked but is extremely stiff. I bet if I tried to bend it too much it would crack.

Just hopeful that it is the regulator and not all three appliances...

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I doubt it is the regulator if the stove burns.

MOSCDENC likes this.
  5. Peter Shetler

Peter Shetler New Member

You probably know this, but just in case ... Those other appliances have a pilot, not? You have to turn the regulator to "pilot" then push in and hold while you light the pilot (gas won't flow if you are not holding the button in), keep holding for some time (maybe 20 seconds) for the pilot to heat the thermocouple, then turn to "ON". The pilot should stay lit and the appliance should work when calling for heat. It may take a bit for gas to flow and fill the line while you are holding the button in for the first time.

6. S4nsc

S4nsc New Member

Replaced the regulator. Fridge and hot water light now. Still no furnace. Guess it's time to start pulling things apart!

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

It always takes me a couple minutes fighting at the beginning of the season to get the heater and WH to fire off. I usually get the stove working on both inside and outside ports, then hit the furnace and WH. I need to clean out the fridge though, it has always been problematic on propane so I just run it off the mains instead.

8. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I found leaving the stove on while lighting the other appliances was helpful.

9. S4nsc

S4nsc New Member

I pulled the pilot and blew it out and the WH still did not light. Saw it had a pilot adjust knob and that it seemed to be turned all the way “down”. Turned it about a 1/2 turn counter clockwise (I think) and it lit right up.

I pulled the heater and electrode on the furnace. Vacuumed some old dead bugs out, put it back together and it fired right up. I saw some videos where the burner was rusted out or the electrode was way off. Mine wasn’t was relatively corrosion free.

I can manually light fridge but once it shuts off it won’t relight. Electrode looks ok, a little loose in the bracket that holds it. Pulled the HV lead per the troubleshooting in the Dometic manual, still nothing. Bought an igniter this weekend but haven’t put it in yet because of rain. Run great on AC and maintains on DC so not a top priority.

Can’t say 100% the new regulator made any difference but if it was as old as the old rubber hoses that were attached to it that thing was on its way out. I feel better with a new regulator and hoses on there.