Bag Awning Replacement

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by David Branley, Jun 20, 2020.

1. David Branley

David Branley Member

Hi All,

Looking to replace the awning on my 2007 Fleetwood. I’ve read the forums, used the search and weighed the option of using a pop up standalone shade bag bag awning. For me the bag awning seems like the right fit.

My question relates to the material of the various replacement options. The existing awning was something similar to a tarp like material. While it offers shade it gets hella hot under it after a while.
    Is anyone using a bag awning replacement that has any type of UV coating / reflective material built in?

Thanks for the help!

Sneezer likes this.
  2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I think the best you'll do with a commercially made bag awning is a light colored material on the top surface.

Our 2017 Roo is tan with black trim and in Rockwoods ultimate wisdom they used a black awning material. Its almost unusable in full sun on a hot day. Its like sitting under an 8x21 radiant heating panel. Some day I will get off my lazy butt and replace it with white or light tan from shade pro or somewhere.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I’ve never had a problem sitting under a white awning that was on my old camper. My current Fleetwood the awning disintegrated so I just replaced it with a reflective tarp. The darker part of the tarp in on the inside and the reflective part facing the sky. No issues. However if your camping in a Valley or gully or stuck between big surfaces you may need fans to help push air around. Even if you had no awning the air currents are just too high to do You any good. Which is great during a storm, but during a regular Hot day, not so great. So during the summer I seek out certain campsites where I know will have a good breeze so long as I’m not unlucky to be between two huge RVs.

4. davey bobcat

davey bobcat New Member

what did you get? we need an awning but im a little confused with all the options out there!

5. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer New Member