Bag Awning ripped at seam. Now what????

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Norfolk, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

Strong winds whipped the awning around and tore it at the seam where it meets the bag. Has anyone used Gorilla Tape to repair a tear like this? If not, I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Take some pictures of the damaged areas and drop by a local awning shop or an upholstery shop that does marine upholstery or boat covers for a quote. Fixing ripped seams is basic repair work that isn't expensive to have done. Depending on the length of the seam, it should run anywhere from $10 - $40 if there's nothing else damaged.

3. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I had it happen on about three feet of my awning. I used gorilla tape and it made it through that season. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I was gifted with a used awning by a buddy that was in much better shape, so I took the old one off. It's likely still holding, though it's rolled up in it's bag and stored in the garage, just in case.

4. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I found a heavy duty needle and thread kit at Cabelas , in the tent and canopy section $ 15.00

5. brynchristi

brynchristi New Member

I'm having this same issue with our NTU Jayco Eagle. I was consider using some velcro tape on the under side of the ripped ends and covering the top of the seam with Gorilla tape. I may check around with some canvas shops and see what they will charge to repair it :) Thanks for the advice. Here's a link to the awning pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65487997@N05/?saved=1

6. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

When we bought our NTU pup I noticed that ours was looking like the stitching was about half torn. Well, we left the PuP at a dealer for bearings and new tires and the bag fell off when they were moving it. They were very apologetic and offered to pay to get it re-sewn. I told them I knew it and was just glad it fell off where it wasn't a problem.

Dropped it off at one of the local awning places yesterday with the Office Assistant. Picked it up today. She only took cash and made change out of her wallet. hmm, think she did it of the clock, sew to speak. $35, she also lubed the zipper, it needed it and also fixed where the zipper was pulling out at the opening end of the zipper.

7. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that the overwhelming majority of shops are small, family-owned operations. Making change out of their pockets isn't all that rare. It doesn't look good, but it's not unheard of. Then again, she may have done exactly what you think she did. Who knows?

You paid a fair price, regardless.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My awning is supposed to be stitched to the bag? Not sure how that's possible when it's attached to the pole in the middle of it?

Anyway, my bag came un-stitched from the molding so I just put the awning in the trunk. One of these days I'll get around to reattaching it.

9. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

In most "bag awnings" the awning is sewn to the inside of the bag. Sometimes it's sewn into the bag seam itself, other times it's sewn to the end of the molding that slips into the pup's roof channel. The poles, fittings, and rails that are affixed to the awning are attached after the fact. If yours is coming apart, give Alan at Bear Creek a call - they'll make you a brand new bag for around $50.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think ours is some kind of mutant awning. [:D] It's just an awning wrapped around a thick pole that it's attached to. You take it out of the bag and put the ends in plastic things mounted to the pup roof.

I can't complain since it goes up super easy. Two adjustable poles, one for each outer corner. We can put them on the ground or just rest the rubber tips against the side of the pup and it stays.

Eventually I will order a new bag since ours is tarp like material and all deteriorated anyway.