Bag Awning "rod" repair advice needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by MabelJ, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

The plastic? trim edge with the piping/rod which inserts into the track is disintegrating. So the rod is detached from the bag about a foot on one end and several inches on the other end. See pics. It's disintegrating into crumbles when handled. The rod itself is solid. Is this fixable by me somehow? I can machine sew - can we buy the trim edge alone (with or without rod) ? Or substitute something else more resistant to sun? The same plastic edge is fine on the underside where it gets no sun.

It's a Trimline awning if that matters.

Attached Files:

2. 1847quincy

1847quincy If it doesn't matter in eternity-it doesn't matter

We had similar problem with ageing awning bag and track. Then a bad storm destroyed the whole thing! A blessing in disguise. Had to replace the awning. They come with a new bag and the spine just slips into the old groove without a problem. Also comes with poles and ropes. Not as nice or well made as the original, but OK for now. Carefree is the brand name if I remember correctly.

So worth it to just replace.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have seen post on here where folks have taken the awning to upholsterers to have the bags sawed up. I dont believe your sawing machine can handle the job.

4. budlight

budlight Member

I repaired mine with a regular sewing machine and a leather needle. I ordered the piping from sailrite.com, be sure to go slow

5. tgore76

tgore76 Member

I had the same thing. A lot of people on here have taken theirs to a boat canvas shop or an awning repair shop and gotten a new bag with piping/bead and new zipper sewn for a reasonable price. Some people have sewn their own with a speedy stitcher or heavy-duty sewing machine. You can buy that piping/bead for a few dollars online. I got three estimates and they were all over $150. I got lucky and found someone on this forum who was selling the awning but their hardware was damaged. Shipping wasn't that much rolled up in a box and I used my hardware.

Sent from my iPad

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Look around your area for a boat canvas shop or auto upholster shop.. they should be able to sew a new piping piece to the bag with little effort.