Bag awning secure?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mrjam2jab, Sep 20, 2019.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

1985 Sun Valley. The bag awning isn't listed in the online owners manual so not sure if it's original to the PU.

To replace a bag awning..the way I read it... you simply remove the set screw at the end, slide the old bag out of the track, slide new bag back into the track, replace set screw.

What if there isn't a set screw? What's holding the bag in place? I can literally slide the bag right out of the end of the track. I only went a few inches out in either direction just to test it.

Pics for reference.

https://ibb.co/H46T6m7

https://ibb.co/fQTWXX6

James Rucker likes this.
  2. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

My bag awning does not have a screw holding it in place either. I have traveled thousands of miles and have had no issue. Yes, the bag does move freely in the track and does slide out about 4 inches during travel. I am not worried about it. If you are concerned, get a small screw and add it yourself.

kcsa75 and gladecreekwy like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks as if they peened in the ends of your rail so it cant slide out. I would secure it. It only takes one time for it to slide out and catch something to rip the awning and/or the roof apart. 10 cents worth of screws and 5 minutes of time would make sure that could never happen.

James Rucker and jmkay1 like this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You could also take a pair of Channel Locks and pinch the ends of the rail. Our Pup only had a screw on one end so I squeezed the other end of the rail "just to be safe."

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

A little caulk in the ends of the slide will prevent it from coming out.

James Rucker likes this.
  6. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

Figured I'd tack onto this existing thread rather than starting a new one...

Maybe a really stupid question.....When buying a replacement bag awning....the existing awning rail is exactly 8 feet long. Will an 8 foot bag awning fit? The existing bag awning is only 7 feet long.

7. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Mine has a screw at the end

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You'll want a bag awning 1 foot less then the length of track.. on the bag, the welting that slides into the track will have a 6 inch piece on each end to secure the welting/awning to the tail..

9. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

I asked the size question on one of the RV parts sales websites before I asked it here. I finally got a response from them:

"Yes it will fit. The Shademaker 8’ awning has a bag length of 8’ 2’’ the front bar/fabric width is 7’ 10’’. The 1’’ over hang of the bag to track will not be a problem."

James Rucker likes this.
  10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

set screw is all you need. Never seen one come loose