Baked goods off grid?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Tuna or (more common) salmon loaf or patties are things people make! None are as bad as my dad's of course, but I still get bleched out by any of them. We weren't even poor. It would not have been the end of the budget to put in TWO cans and fewer crackers. There were a lot of kids! :p

This sort of thing is what MOST people make:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2...referringContentType=Recipe&clickId=simslot_4

Pommom70 likes this.
  2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Tuna loaf? That's a new one by me...

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Then you have led a very fortunate life. :p

4. MyName

MyName Active Member

Has anyone tried to cook a pizza in a cast iron pan with lid on the stove? I wonder if it will work.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

6. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

The techniques at the other end of that link make sense. It might even work for a frozen pizza—put a small rack in the skillet, drop the pizza on it, put a lid over the skillet, and commence to warming. With some careful monitoring, it could be done on a campsite charcoal grill. Exactly the kind of mindless, minimal prep kind of thing you want that first evening after setting up camp. [LOL]

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Let it thaw on the drive. :)

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Yup, exactly!

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have had pizza make from scratch in a DO over coals. Very good. Not sure you could do i stove top without the top heat? I think it would be grilled pizza vs. baked?

Maybe if you brought the frozen pizza to room temp and you had a cast iron lid and heated it on the grill very hot. Then put the pot on the stove brought it up to temp, added the pizza and then put the top on? that might work? Since room temp frozen pizza only needs about 10 minutes?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. MyName

MyName Active Member

Thanks. Time for me to start experimenting with pizza.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. For me it was half stove/ half coal. I used a 10" cast iron skillet and a 10" Dutch oven lid. Put it on the stove but also put some coal on top of the lid. To get the full bake effect you need heat from the top too. Worked perfectly for me and didnt need nearly as much coal. I was running seriously low on coal and due to foul weather no campfire. The hard part is figuring out how much burner to use so as to not scortch the pizza crust but enough where the flame won't blow out.

12. MyName

MyName Active Member

Are you guys using premade pizzas or making your own pizza? I make a big mess when I make my own pizza at home.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I cheat on the crust, and pizza sauce from a jar but we add our own ingredients. Good thing too, everyone likes something totally different in my family.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Kit, that's the real thing! It's bigger than the Omnia. And cheaper. It's probably better. I couldn't fit a real WonderPot like that under the bed in my truck camper so had to go with Omnia.
    You can store socks in it when you aren't using it.

kitphantom likes this.
  16. kitphantom

I think I can find space for the Omnia in our TT. The trick is to find a spot easily accessed so it gets used - I've found it's easy to ignore things that are really squirreled away - at home or camping. It may fit under the sink, behind the p-trap, depending on if it will scoot by that. Another option, if it works out, is that I'm going to modify a step under the table. Most of the 177 owners who have opened it up have found that it simply fills in the curve at the front wall. In either case, I'll probably put it in a bag so that it doesn't get too dinged up on the road.
    We still carry the Outback oven in our misc. tote, but with either the WonderPot or Omnia it would be nice not to have to mess with the huge Nomex "jacket". Plus, the ring shape will bake more evenly,

17. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

Absolutely hate meatloaf! I do roast pork or beef. Put chickens on a spit over the coals. If DO doesn’t have feet I put rocks under them in the coals. My hubby is a hobby blacksmith so he makes my cooking trivets, spits, etc..

Just takes a little practice, then one can make just about any dish over a campfire.

18. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

Preheat the DO over the fire before putting baked goods in it to bake. Helps a great deal.

19. kitphantom

@Pommom70 - I thought lots of folks hated meatloaf, so was surprised it wasn't necessarily true when we did meals for church programs a few years back. We made a few types, and kept getting request for more - ham loaf (that's a favorite of mine, made it a couple of weeks ago) and various mixtures of meat and add-ins - ball park, with relish and mustard + ketchup was a favorite. (Macaroni and cheese and baked pasta were other requests. For those meals and larger ones, desserts had favorites too - we had to do a pudding and a cheesecake a week to keep everyone happy.)

I know a lot of people cook very well over a campfire, but we never have a wood fire, don't bother with charcoal, and seldom hang around camp long enough to make a meal that way. Even baking would be on days when we're not gone as late in the day.

Pommom70 likes this.
  20. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

I don’t cook as much as I used to. Did it mostly when re-enacting, like sandwiches on hot days. Only do a couple of campfires when camping now.