Bal leveler/chocklock?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Enigmacamper, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Howdy all! We are in process of purchasing an Aliner Scout (a-frame popup), weight about 1,500lbs dry.

I was planning on getting normal chocks but someone had mentioned the Bal "single axle tire chock" for our parking situation (driveway is on a bit of a hill). I like this idea because a child couldn't just kick it out of place and have the trailer start to roll :eek:. I was wondering if this actually "locks" in any way so you need a key to remove it? (seems to make sense to prevent vandalism). And if people like it, especially if it seems reliable on a slight decline.

That led me to the BAL leveler which also intrigues because I am very sensitive to movement in campers (like elevators, I get some sort of balance issue) and something that would help limit movement and level the camper easier might certainly be worthwhile. I am wondering, can the BAL leveler be used long term as the chock on the other side (again on a decline) opposite the BAL single axle chock or will that somehow damage the wheel/axle/frame?

Any opinions gladly welcome, the price is staggering, but if folks think it's really worth it I'd like to look into it further. Thank you!!!

2. Enigmacamper

btw, was just thinking of a "donut" type thing for the front wheel, though with our decline I'm not sure if the wheel would just roll right out, those donuts are not very deep?!

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, my driveway is also situated with a hill in it. I too think those small donut things you're talking of are a little shallow as you suspected. I personally use 2 good solid rubber wheel chalks for mine. Not like plastic ones that move out of the way all the time. A child, or even adult can't kick them out from in front of the tire because of too much weight put on them by the Pup resting up against it.

4. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I love my bal leveler, but I would just snug it up for using it ad a chock while in the driveway. I would recommend the rubber chocks instead for the driveway. As Wrenchgear said once the weight is on them a kid isn't going to kick them out.

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I use them both. While my trailer is parked, I have the BAL Leveler on one side (not raised), and the Single Axle Chock on the other. There is no way that thing is moving anywhere. Granted, I am not on a slope, but I don't think I could move it with both of those in place if I hooked it up to the truck and tried to pull it.

The chock does not have any kind of locking mechanism, but if you snug it up really tight, you'd need a wrench to unscrew it.

6. Enigmacamper

Do you feel the need to use anything on the front wheel?

7. Enigmacamper

Since you have and use both, if you felt it was only reasonable to buy one system (for campsites and at home use) which would you choose for overall?

8. Enigmacamper

That is good to know, so the leveler will work as a chock even if it isn't raised.

It's too bad there isn't a way to "lock" it...we're not sure what to do for theft deterrence...though that's really all anything is I think, a deterrence for the less determined :rolleyes:

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Raise the leveler snug to the tire and a cable or chain between the loops and locked around the axle should deter any lazy thieves. Loop it through in front of the wheel where they can see it. Not much you can do with the single wheel chock unless you do some welding.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I use the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight. As others have stated, with the weight of the camper on the front chock it isn't going anywhere. My front tongue has a removable wheel, so it goes in storage and the jack sits on some cinder blocks. I do have some padlocks to help lock up the safety chains, and this year I am planning on mounting my driveway anchor and running a super heavy duty chain to it.

I do have both the BAL leveler and the BAL chock, and love them. Really helps to keep the trailer solid when set up for camp with very little bounce with all the stabs set.

11. Wrenchgear

I don't put anything under the front wheel, in fact I take the front wheel off. I set up the Pup in the driveway quite often to do mods and maintenance on it. My driveway has a hill in it that requires me to put wood blocks under the tongue jack to get the Pup somewhat level. I take the wheel off so that I have the round pipe portion of the tongue jack to sit nicely on a big wooden block. I find that the wheel always wants to roll of, (obviously). I have about 20 inches of wood blocks under the jack. I also don't like extending the jack too far as they are prone to breaking when up too high, and then people moving around inside. I probably only extend the jack about 1/3 of its travel. This keeps the Pup more stabil when walking around inside.

12. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

13. Wrenchgear

I you want to make the trailer more stabil, try something like this. These are the rubber wheel chocks I use at home, but this is how I set them up at the park. Ratchet strap them in there good and tight to the tires and its amazing as to how much this cuts down on the rolling back and forth. Sitting on a 2x10, and then a small strip of wood tapped in under the chocks as they raise up a little while the strap is tightened. Put a good big 8x8 chunk of wood under the tongue jack, and again with the wheel removed, put the stabs down nice and tight, and that Pup is solid as a rock, no movement at all. It takes 15-20 mins to set them up, but you don't have to do it as soon as you get there, it can wait till later in the day, or even tomorrow.

20170731_165626.jpg

20170731_165423.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  14. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

If you decide to remove the front wheel you can replace it with one of these. Very easy to swap back wheel if you need it in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QEJ6UQ

Also, if you want to stabilize it more, add another set of stabilizers up front. The Scout only has 2 in the back (I think). I recently added two up front on my Ranger. Easy install.

Like many others, I also use the BAL leveler which will makes leveling it quick and easy - and acts as a very solid chock. I use the BAL on one side and standard chocks on the others. I'm all about fast and easy setup since we do a lot of 1-2 night stays.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  15. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I have a very steep concrete driveway. I use two lightweight Camco chocks and I removed the wheel and use a tongue jack foot instead. I have two in different lengths for differing front-to-back inclines at the campsite. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MI06zxqIyb2AIVULnACh1n5AYuEAQYAyABEgJdxPD_BwE For side-to-side, I use a Camco Tri-Leveler. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camc...VQ57ACh07uweyEAQYAiABEgJD1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds It is all lightweight, devoid of machanical issues, and easy to clean...

16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Also, regarding tongue locks, most are shiney junk and easily defeated in seconds with a prybar or bolt cutter....

17. Enigmacamper

Thank you everyone for your advice! I finally ran options by the hubby to see what he wanted to deal with and between the Andersen and BAL leveling systems he chose the Andersen (not trying to start a rumble here!) and the BAL single axle chock to be more secure on the other side. Hopefully this system will work well for us! Still undecided about the front wheel, we will need the wheel I believe so I hate to take it off and on, but if it is to be stored for a while that may be the way to go.

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The wheel on our pups tongue jack was installed the day we bought the pup and got removed until the day we traded the pup... At 3000 plus pounds (gvwr) I wasn't going to be moving the pup by hand...

19. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I wouldn't limit myself to one, the bal leveler is expensive but it saves time, aggravation and adds stability. the rubber chocks go on sale frequently at harbor freight for $6. I would get the rubber ones 1st and the bal leveler as soon as its reasonable. most of the time I have a flat foot on the tongue jack. I have one like this. if you camp on level sights the majority of the times you could delay the bal leveler for a while. I camp at state and federal forest campgrounds that are more aimed at tenters and a lot of bondocking so where the camper goes isn't always anywhere near level.