Ball mounted bike rack

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by greg Huff, Apr 19, 2019.

1. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

Just looking at bike rack options and this caught my eye wondering if anyone has had experience with this style? It mounts under the ball that way you can still use a standard strength ball mount instead of one of the weaker extended units with low tongue weight ratings.

Attached Files:

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, keep in mind the bikes will be hanging over the tongue and with batteries, propane tanks, and the front wall of the camper, the bikes may limit you turning abilities.

I don't think this bike rack is made with towing in mind as well.

3. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

The information on Amazon says it's meant to be used while towing but I have the same concern with clearance. I was hoping someone has had experience and can show how high the bikes ride over the tongue of the trailer. My dual propane tanks ride ahead of my battery so that is my major concern.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree I think the bikes might be hanging down too low. I use a regular hatch back bike rack and can put one adult bike and one child bike on without interfearing too much on turning with my current camper. However my adult bike has to have one side raised higher to avoid my sway bar. Ended up popping my tire enroute to my campground when I turned sharply and the tire got pinched. Scared the Dickens out of me hearing the loud pop.

5. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

I would like to avoid that if all possible. I cannot find a good way to haul 4 to5 bikes without mounting to the roof of the camper. It's fiberglass so I really don't want to sit bikes on it. I feel that's just asking for issues.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

With the big 78” bars you could probably fit 5 bikes on the roof of the TV with a Yakima or Thule rack. Getting those middles ones on might be pain, but it might be worth the trade off of no risk of leaks (though those can be minimized with the right installation and maintenance).