Barely boiling water/ low flame

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by mcgillclan4, Jun 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

My interior stove seems to have a low flame. I can barely get it hot enough to cook pancakes on and it takes forever. My hash browns barely get brown and again it takes forever. Boiling anything takes forever. I also have an outdoor grill that seems to work just fine and gets hot enough for grilling. I’m used to cooking on my Colman camp stove with the green 1 lb canisters that heats up and boils very quickly. I don’t know anything about propane or regulators or lines except that there are differences between low and high pressure. Even if the interior stove is low pressure surely I should be able to turn the flame up more than it can now right? What should I do to troubleshoot? What are common scenarios and fixes? Thanks so much!

I should also say that our fridge seems to work fine on propane. And the furnace works fine too.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would remove the burners and check the tube for blockage first. Also a kinked line of closed shut off to the stove first.

mcgillclan4 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Depends how much water your boiling etc. I do think mine takes forever when comparing it to my home stove also.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

When I first started scouting ....... years ......years ......years ago I ask about the trouble I had blowing water. The old scoutmasters best suggestion was to put a lid on the pot.......... That worked and the water was cleaner when using a campfire. LOL
    You low pressure stove runs on about .5 psi so even a small blockage can cause problems. Insects love the smell of propane and may wanted to move in.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar issue with my table top gas grill a couple weeks ago. It was windy and wouldn't even stay lit. After checking in with my old buddy Google I learned that the regulators have an integrated bypass as a safety feature that will restrict the flow of propane. The fix was simple: Disconnect the propane tank and open all the burners on the stove. Wait a couple minutes, turn all the burners off then reconnect the propane and open the valve slooooooowly. I thought it sounded stupid, but I tried it this weekend and worked like a champ.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/10658-troubleshooting-a-weak-flame-on-a-gas-grill

neighbormike and mcgillclan4 like this.
  6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Check to make sure you are not kinking your supply hose when flipping your galley over. I did that once.

mcgillclan4 likes this.
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The problem with the low pressure stoves is that they just don't get hot enough for proper cooking in my opinion! It does take longer to boil water, even with a lid on. We have a 2 burner factory stove in the pup that took like forever to boil water and make a pot of coffee. That's why after the first season of camping with the pup we ditched the inside stove and went with our Coleman 2 burner stove. Yes, I know the OP is trying to resolve an issue. But don't hope something will cure the original fact the these stoves stink!

mcgillclan4 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

IIRC Coleman used a Vitco stove which I agree was not the best. I could not find much info on them. Coleman most likely used the cheapest one to use. Give it a good cleaning, see is the air tubes are adjustable or just give up and use something else. Next time your camping ask other campers what works well for them. I have a friend that could cook a 5 coarse meal with a old electric fry pan .....his fish is to die for ... Blackstone grilles seem to all the range but are they really that great. I don't know.
    Many of us (I hope) have different experiences. Our 2 burner Suburban stove works and cooks better than our electric stove at home. Best builtin camper stove we have ever had. Why do we use/cook in the camper. My wife does like the smoke of a wood fire. I don't like the cleaning of a grill. Just the 2 of us and we don't cook fancy. Just saying.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    silvermickey2002 and Sjm9911 like this.