Barking dog ( ours )

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Bigpineguy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. ggoodman

ggoodman New Member

Socialize your dog if if seeing people running by sets it take it some where that people are running, if it's dogs take it to a dog park, please don't take it camping till it's been sensitized! if you do, pretend your a lab owner and wear your dog out. A happy lab is a tired lab.

2. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've already made it known that our Pup is a pup-free zone. I won't be taking that many full family, multi-day trips, and they have a nice yard and house to guard. All of the potential problems involved in taking them along isn't worth the hassle, and frankly, I don't think it's fair to subject them to all of that, either. I realize others feel very differently about this, and as long as they take care of their dogs, I don't mind them being around a campground. I don't care for them on trails, but that's another topic.

Another vote for a bark collar, though. We rarely use ours any more. Once the dogs learned what it was and what it did, all we have to do is hold it in their presence and say "No!" They're smart enough to know what's up, and they knock it off. If you use one, don't leave it on forever. I believe the instructions cover the need for breaks from the collar. The latest models offer some intelligent features worth the premium, IMO.

3. Beth

Beth Member

We have a mixed breed big dog (he's 7 months old); We had taken him boondocking before a couple times. He was really good (AFTER I finally got him to step on the rug in front of the camper, and then had to pick him up and carry him INTO the camper...scaredy cat!! lol!);

Anyway, Memorial weekend, we took him with us to Ky. Lake. He was SO GOOD!! considering he had to stay tied up....and other dogs were barking and not made to stop. (He did bark a few times when the others did, but all I had to say was: "Snickers. NO Barking!" and he quit.

NOW if I could only get him to listen like that at home, when he barks at whatever he's barking at in the middle of the night, or when he wants to play and I'm working. (I have an at home business besides my full time day job.)....

Good luck with your dogs!

Beth

4. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

We run a dog rescue here in Missouri, we have had great success using a scent spraying bark collar. We have gotten beagles to not bark, which is hard to do :)

Yes it is rude to have a barking dog, we believe all dogs can be trained, and all dogs can have a purpose no matter how bad they are (before being put down). We have seen vicious pit bulls turned into excellent trained guard dogs for businesses. Hyper lab dogs turned into perfect drug/bomb sniffers, etc..

With proper training a dog can be taught not to bark when otherwise they would.

5. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Citronella bark collar works for two of my canines, but the middle child is too stubborn for this. He's been a barker since I got him at 3 months, think he can't help himself. So, got a vibration collar.

Funniest thing, is when he learned to 'whisper bark.' He'd woof lower than what would trigger his collar, but seemed to fulfill his need! :)

6. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Training collars can be useful, but I've seen them subverted, too.

Our old dog loved to run, but we had a small yard and couldn't fence it in, so I installed a perimeter RF system. It worked for awhile, then she figured out that running amok was worth taking a few hits from the collar. She'd run flat out at the property line, get zapped and stumble, then back into a full run.

I saw an RF fence have the opposite effect on a shop dog. The owner told me to call the dog to the street, so I did. I didn't know that he'd just had the fence installed, and he'd set the collar's shock to its limit. The dog came trotting up as usual, then it looked like God stomped on his neck. He flailed around for a few seconds, squealing like a toddler caught in a fan belt, then ran into the parts room. He didn't come out for three days, and he was never quite so happy to see me.

7. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Yes, not all dogs respond to training collars. I have a Houdini lab that has broken out of almost all the fencing options I've tried - pen, chain link, wireless, etc. Currently, I have him contained by combining the chain link with an electric fence. That way he can't run through the electric fence, but can't dig under the chain link (can't stand the shock for that long.)

He did get out once when my electric fence went offline for some reason, but so far, he's been contained for the longest period I've ever been able to allow him outdoors without me there. And, he's a 10 yr old lab - think by now he'd calm down!

8. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Sometimes it is the campers and not the dog who cause the problem. Earlier this week we took our six month old pup camping with us and she loved every minute of it, yes, she will bark when necessary even in the middle of the night. She is not a constant barker at all, but the first night she barked a couple of times, only for a few minutes. She was doing her job, something outside hit our pop up which caused her to bark, and someone complained. Of course this was a state park which prompted a visit and a threat from the ranger. We never made it to the second night,
    as the ranger was parked outside our campsite the exact minute that quiet night began with his truck running loudly, of course she barked. We decided it wasn't worth the fine, so returned home for the night and returned the next to pick up our pop up. We camped without pets, and never complained about an occasional bark here and there, really never complained about anything. We know who complained, an out of state with new 30 foot trailer with a matching tv. Yes, you were parked near the dumpster that people used all night long. They moved to a new site, but why blame the little pop up and the little dog. This two day trip cost me a couple hundred in gas, and became a camping nightmare, that we are considering on putting the pop up for sale.

9. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Why a couple minutes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Suit yourself, but that seems to be an overreaction if this is the only reason you're considering selling your Pup.

If you spend a little more time planning, you may be able to avoid the problem. I don't like campgrounds, but I know not all areas have national forests and BLM land nearby. Try checking campgrounds online and select ones with a more open, secluded layout. Buy a bark collar for your dog and train them before the trip. In my experience, once a dog knows that a mild corrective shock or burst of odor will occur when they bark with the collar on, they rarely bark at all. Even showing them the collar can have the desired effect.

11. saltysenior

saltysenior Member

http://dogshocktrainingcollars.com/order-standard.php...solves MOST problems

A far as a fence digger.........run 2 stands of ''hot wire'' around the fence....1 low and 1 about 12'' higher....tie blue marking ribbon every 2 feet on the wires....turn on the juice and introduce this new setting to the dog......after a few zaps he'll get the message .....the good part of this is that you now can carry the blue tape with you and it can be placed where you don't want the dog to go..your friend's flower bed for instance...

12. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I haven't been able to take my Mini Dachshund camping yet. She is now 1 1/2 years old. And we have had her 8 months. And she isn't social at all which my understanding is, this is how Dachshunds are.

So I bought this shock color for her last week because it has a vibrate and whistle and light as well as a shock if needed and it works,http://www.ebay.com/itm/281113455305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I tried it on my wrist to make sure it wouldn't hurt my little girl. But the problem is. Its still to big for her, I have it the smallest the collar will go but the device is so bulky it is half the size of her neck. So I'm looking for a smaller one.

Anyone know which one will work for a Mini Dachshund. We want to be able to start taking her along with out Chi camping.

Sharon

13. raymonk

raymonk New Member

The thing is how does someone know how their dog will react camping unless the dog is taken camping. It was her first time out, and we took her during the week just in case she wouldn't take to camping very, but she liked it. There are a lot of campgrounds where we live, but only state parks. and private campgrounds. No national parks. The ranger over reacted, we or our puppy didn't even get a chance. It wasn't our dog that barked that long, but some others. My point is, we were treated like second class citizens with the pop up, while the new travel trailer with a matching tv wasn't. The dog is in obedience training. I rather sell the pop up than to have is sit around the rest of the summer wasting away for another season, not an overreaction.

14. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I'm sorry that's how it's working out for you. Good luck with the training and possible sale.

15. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

The ranger over reacted, so you're selling your pop up. Campground camping isn't for everyone or every dog, so I respect you for making that decision. Good luck with the sale, with the summer season in almost full swing a ready to go pup should fetch good money. You may wish to consider backpacking. I love the solitude and lack of neighbors.

I am curious, besides asking the Ranger that the rule be enforced, which btw, Rangers really dislike these kinds of situations, what did the folks in the really nice 30' TT with matching TV do?

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

raymonk, you can camp beside me anytime. If I hear a dog barking, I know it's HAPPY, BEGGING for a pet, WARNING of an intruder, etc. The desperate bark generally leads me to the site to check on the dog. You can't fix stupid people, but you CAN intercede and possibly save a dog's life. Just yesterday after having dinner out, the car parked across from us had a dog in it. Local tag too, and no windows down. It was NOT comfortable outside so I called the police, who dispatch animal control here. Called them back to tell them I had to go for another appointment, and they assured me the car would have a ticket on it when the owners came out to leave. I do this camping as well.

What I've learned from this thread: it sounds like we're right back to most of you wanting to camp per YOUR definition of how every camper/dog/child should act. YOU are the type of folks who need to boondock, around NO ONE, bothering no one. When I go to a public capmpground/ACOE place/state park, I EXPECT a certain amount of noise. I can't fathom how you guys think it should be quiet and peaceful just because you don't have an animal or kids with you??

[:(!] [:(O] [:D]

17. Rcharrette

Rcharrette New Member

We have 2 Golden retrievers and a young boy and although well behaved I avoid pay campgrounds at all cost! I find camping around other people stressful and ultimately un enjoyable. When around other people i become hyper aware of all the "kids" behavior so I chose not to deal with it! We are lucky though as we camp primarily in SW Colorado, Utah and AZ, lots of options for BLM and USFS dispersed camping.
    While we set up our dogs can wander our camp happily exploring and our boy can make as much noise as he wants. We leave for Sun Valley, Idaho in a couple of days and again tons of dispersed camping within 10 miles of town.
    With our Honda EU1000 generator, a full water tank and (4) 5 gallon jugs of water we are easily good for a week and have everything a campground could offer minus the cranky neighbors!

18. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I consider someone's barking dog the same as a loud stereo playing, or a family member screaming, all should have a switch to turn them down or off. It is simple courtesy. It doesn't matter if it is a hotel room, camp ground, or wherever. I shouldn't have to raise my voice to speak or wear earplugs because someone cannot control their animal.

Imagine if people just randomly started yelling while walking down the street. Now why would we accept it from an animal that can be trained? How does the continuously barking dog improve the quality of the camping experience for anyone, even the owners?

If anyone shouldn't camp around people it should be those that do not want to follow CG rules or common social courtesies.

19. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I recently watched a commercial for a new television series, that the mind makes us see what we want to see. Obviously many of you have not read my original post, or read past the true meaning of it, that it is sometimes the campers and not the dog. I know that it is hard to believe that my do barked on a few minutes. Maybe it was five minutes. or maybe even two. The thing is she's not a barker, and only does so to warn us, which happened that night when something hit the pop up. If she barked all night or for a half hour it would have been a different story, but she didn't.The other thing is why did the rangers, park next to our campsite when quiet time began. He saw us putting her into our vehicle then drove away. Then he went to the next site of tent campers with a dog and parked there with his truck running loudly causing the do to bark s like he was priming the dogs to bark. He didn't stop at the campsites with travel trailers. I'm wondering if this is some ploy to fine people then pocket the money/ In our camping radius there are no areas to boondock, but we will try a less popular state site, or private campground and try iy again.

20. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Our dog is a barker, by nature of the breed (Collie i.e. "Timmy fell in the well again!"). We've had great success at home with an ultrasonic bark deterrent device. It's battery operated, portable, and looks like a bird house. I think I paid ~30.00 for it. We've only taken her camping once on private land to see how she would do. She did well so I think we will bring our "bark-box" with us and try her out at a nearby park.

It's not that we can't make her be quiet, it's just that I don't want to spend all weekend correcting her. Not fun for anyone. The ultrasonic thing seems like it would work just as well at the campsite as it would at home.