Barking dog ( ours )

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Bigpineguy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Found it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UZNLGA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

35 bucks on Amazon.com.

2. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I can't understand why when a six month old puppy on his FIRST camping trip is vilified because he barked a couple of times at a strange sound and, yet human children can scream for what seems like hours hours on end and nothing is said.

Probably, the next time you take him camping he will understand that he doesn't need to warn you about every little sound. I know that if something hit my camper in the night I'd be "barking" also. Possibly with less than stellar language.

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

In my thirty plus years camping in CG I have never met a ranger like you described, most find this to be the least pleasant part of their job, enforcing the little rules. If I did encounter one that caused that much hassle over my dog barking for two minutes, I'd sell my pop up and go back to backpacking full time. So please don't think I am criticizing your decision to go home during the campout or selling your pop up.

In enforcing rules it is easier to just look at the black and white. If the rules say no generators after 10, then that is what is enforced. It is easier to tell the offending party to shut off the generator than tell the offended that the rule will not be enforced. Same with all the other stuff like how many people and vehicles per site, parking off the road, campfires completely out, garbage in cans, no open liquor, etc. The offended who want the rules enforced are easier to serve while those who wish to break the rules are much harder. You just have to find places that have the rules you like. There are places that allow generators all night, larger group sizes, and barking dogs.

On a side note it is unfair that we enslave animals and expect them to act like humans.

I also hope you wrote to the agency that runs that campground and explain how upset you are. They are there to serve campers. Not only have they lost a customer for their CG, but for others as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. rsttoole

rsttoole Hello from Boise Idaho

If your dog barks at home it will only bark more when you are camping. Leave the dog home or get a new dog.

One of many reasons I hate regular campgrounds!

Headed to the mountains on Wednesday for some peace and quite along the river in the Idaho Mountains!

5. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I guess that the topic has become more of a good cop bad cop thing, and I feel that what is in question is more of black and white issue to eliminate pop up campers more than it is about a barking dog. Let's face it pop up's are canvas, and far from being acoustically sound compared to the other forms of camping enclosures. Pop up campers live mostly outdoors, while those in the TT's and motor homes spend a lot of their time in their air conditioned campers.This makes it easier for the rangers to manage.What I failed
    to mention was that last season camping without an animal, the same ranger stopped by our campsite questioning us about our porta pottie tent. By the way this was within the parks rules. He then said that we paid to camp till ater that afternoon, there are other people calling to see if they can get in early, which is against their rules. I have say
    that the rest of the rangers and workers were pleasant, and although this was our favorite campsite I doubt if we will ever camp there again with or without our dog. The ranger in question, was assertively abusive.

6. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Ray, I seriously doubt that ranger cared about the type of campers being used at the campground.

The ranger probably was responding to complaints made either directly to him, or that were channeled down through his boss. If your dog was barking, and the ranger deemed that barking was in violation of the CG rules, they had a reason to talk to you about your dog. The same would go if you were running a generator, playing loud music, or some other infraction of the CG rules. No need to read more into the contact than that.

If you're unhappy with the way the ranger did their job, or about the CG rules, I agree that you should contact the officials that are responsible for the CG and voice your complaint. If you were actually cited, there's probably an upcoming court or hearing date for you to contest the citation.

7. raymonk

raymonk New Member

@Bajapup. Again another comment by someone who didn't read my postings. My dog didn't continuously bark, or even bark for several minutes. I didn't get a citation, but again I wonder why the following night, the DNR was parked at the pop up and tent campsites with the engine running loudly and not at the travel trailer sites exactly at quiet time. Seems to purposely something to get dogs to bark. You weren't there so how can you judge. This is no different some police officer hiding behind some sign and issuing tickets to some unlucky driver going a few miles over the speed limit, is this for safety or control? It is knit-picking to generate cash. Enough said on this, I'm never camping there again anyway.

8. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Clearly the ranger has a thing against dogs, pop ups, tents, and loves a confrontation. He must love it when a bunch of quiet people in Class As and 5ers without dogs take over the park and stay inside.

There should be a lot of complaints from those campers with tents and pop ups so complaining to his bosses may be just enough to get him moved to a position that he would be better suited to. There is a thread about feeling like a second class citizen in a pop up, it does happen.

But I standby my earlier comment. Enforcing rules and siding with the complainer is much simpler than siding with the person or animal that is breaking the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Ray, I read your posts and I based my responses on what you said. I wasn't judging anything, and there were several conditional statements in my replies. If you don't like my advice and the advice of others, fine by me. I'm tired of trying to figure out what's wrong with you. If you really want to sell your camper because you believe a mean ranger picked on you and your dog, please do so, and I'll unsubscribe from this dreary thread.

10. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Have the same thing in mind here with the little barky dog we have. It's a matter of training. The family dog has gotten away with anything it pleases at the family home whilst I've been in the city working (including unhampered barking fits at anything that moves.) I figure once I'm far enough along to set up in camp backyard, I'll take the dog in the pup and try to teach him quiet time. Cookie treats for good behaviour, etc. I'm hoping he will recognize the "invisible line" at the pup door. If you can train in camp backyard, I think it will carry over wherever you go.
    I'm also going to take the pup on it's maiden voyage to the nearest camp-ground available in case I have to return the dog to the house.

11. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

my dog barks at every person he hears but not when he is out camping because he is not protecting his territory (our actual home). it's almost as if he becomes a coward for some reason and he doesn't seem to relate to the pup as his home.

12. commonguy001

commonguy001 New Member

We camp with our two miniature schnauzers and while they're never completely quiet they're no louder than any other dog at the campgrounds we've been to.
    Dogs bark but they're allowed so that's that in my opinion.

We've never had an issue with other campers or rangers so I'm thinking the ranger mentioned in the prior post may have just been an A-hole.

Saying that we do a couple of things to make it easier to have them with.
    Always preplan our spot to make sure we're not in a completely open site with other campers within feet (or try to avoid these spots). We don't camp next to any of the facilities or sites that would get the most foot traffic. It's easier when we can have our awning side facing away from the road.
    Always run them hard each day including at least one 5-6 mile hike/run. They also spend time in a bike trailer for dogs and after a day of action are usually blown apart by 7 or 8 at night.

We just got back from a week in the UP of MI and our barky schnauzers were some of the quieter dogs during the stay. They love the pup as much as my wife and I do.

13. AceCombat

AceCombat New Member

As an owner of what can be the loudest little dog on earth I also know what it's like to have to listen to a barking dog. Our neighbors decided they would get each other puppies for Christmas. They never walked them and just tossed them out on the back deck to do their business "disgusting to say the least". Then the barking started. Non stop all day usually until 10pm. Then when they got sick of cleaning up the messes and smell they built a kennel behind their shed and attached to my fence encroaching on our property by three feet. Built while we were on vacation. I tried to talk to them but they immediately got there backs up and that all dogs bark and basically o f$&@ yourself. Twenty mins later I had removed my part of the fence and barking dogs were now free roaming dogs. Two hotdogs later they were in my garage and the bylaw officer picked them up. 500$ fine for dogs at large to the owners. Who were o drunk they could barely stand. Fat foward two years and many issues and phone calls we had our day in court. Over sixty hours of video of their dogs barking for 6 days straight. He showed up with about two hours of video tape showing us outside with our two little girls playing in the kiddie pool. It also showed our dogs not making a sound. Judge fined him and told him if he continued to videotape our children and family he would be charged with voyeurusm lol. My tapes only showed the fence and had the audio of his dogs on it. A week later they had their Ouse up for sale and were gone. I ind I am overly sensitive to dogs barking. I know what it's like to have to listen to it and I will be damned if I will force a barking dog on anybody else. Yes they are your pets yes you love them. But to everyone else who has no attachment o your best friend it's just as annoying as that ranger truck idling nearby. If you can't control your dog then leave it at home with a sitter. If you have to have it with you then train it. Bronco is good I tell him knock it off and he can be mid bark and he shuts own. To me mid bark is to long he will be staying with Nanny and the four cats.

14. halosz

halosz New Member

Ours bark at people walking through our proximity or at other larger dogs. It's about 1% of the time. We try to avoid with redirection, and treats and if we don't catch it a squirt of water or shaking a bottle of coins to quiet them. Not enough to leave them behind. We are working through some of the behaviors.

15. TheBerrys

TheBerrys 1977 Palomino in Albuquerque, NM

We had a White Bulldog who barked a lot. She was deaf and it's common for deaf dogs to bark often. Also white dogs are often deaf. The only way we could stop her was a bark collar. We used it for about a month and she came right around and stopped the constant barking.

I really hated to use it but there was just no other way.

Dick

16. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

I think that when we use camp grounds, we need to be courteous of others,,,,,,

this goes for barking dogs,,,,,,,loud obnoxious parties,,,,,,,and screaming children.

However, some people are (IMHO) a bit too OCD about all of them,,,,,

dogs bark. if it's the occasional 15 second or less bark,,,,,,,,,,I'm not worried about it. If the dog won't shut up for hours at a time,,,,,,seriously, have a care about others.

People will talk around campfires late at night,,,,,,,,if it's a gentle murmer of voices I'm hearing, that's just part and parcel of camping. I think. If the music is up and they're screaming across the campsite,,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,NO.

Children cry,,,,,,if the baby is six months old, and it cries for a bottle, no biggie,,,,,,they stop when they get the bottle. If the kid is 12 and is screeching at 10pm,,,,,,,,,get your kid under control.

17. kpic

kpic New Member

Our dog is a blue Pitt, her genes are hunting bear.

As we live in the woods she is quite used to the deer, raccoons and coyotes. She has levels of warning. A low level growl means the deer are in the front yard; ballistic means whatever it is, it is on the deck or the front porch. 99% of the time it means a raccoon, the 1% was a black bear on the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top is about 25-30' from the front porch and bottom is about the same distance from the basement.
    Tonight, weather permitting, will be our first camp driveway so I'll know more this time tomorrow.

As she is quite social, she is sure every dog on the planet wants to play.

18. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Carry around a squirt gun. Dog barks, squirt it.

Shock collar?

19. eoitker

eoitker Member

Our black lab/beagle mix is 4 and has been camping with us for the last 2 years. I consider myself a considerate camper so I HATE when she barks. Luckily she only barks at other dogs being walked by our site. The only thing that helps is to put her in the pup. Otherwise she is a great camp dog!

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

To me if your campsite is making any ongoing noise that can be heard by your fellow campers you are in the wrong. I don't care if it is a group being loud, a dog barking, a cat in heat, loud exhaust, kids toys, loud TV/radio, any loud noises....

I don't pack any noise making toys for my son, I manually lock my car so the horn doesn't blast, I don't even pack a radio. I hope my neighbors are as considerate.....