baseball and camping

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by rambo, Apr 8, 2010.

1. rambo

rambo 2514g

any baseball fans out there??.i dont know about you. but summertime to me means camping and listening to the detroit tigers ballgames on the radio while cooking in the dutch oven over the fire..with an adult beverage of course.. my question is what kind of radio do you listen to???. i own a emergency crank radio with weather band for bad weather..F.M. is ok but A.M. sucks.. i have come to find that where i camp(upper michigan) is way out in the boonies most of the time away from cities or towns or radio towers .so i would like to buy a new radio..any thoughts or recommendations.???.
    also most games are on am radio-- so getting stations in is a challenge at best.

2. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

You might think about getting a portable XM or Sirius sat radio. I don't remember which one it is but one is better for sports than the other.

3. Kenpopup

Kenpopup New Member

XM and Sirrus are same company ,they almost same programing i have had XM for 5 years now.Being a YANKEES fans in Daytona beach area is tough with all the NL fans here,depending on what other sports you follow XM basic package(16.99/month) with MLB baseball,NBA basket ball and college football and basket are standard along with espn radio and news ,fox sports IRL racing add best of Sirrus (6.99/month)and get NFL football and NASCAR. AS for radio they are same find a package that that suite your needs.Most come with car setup,i would look for a boombox and radio bundle together.

4. shadet

shadet New Member

Wow -

How funny. I do the same exact thing! I do have the portable XM boom box radio...it's incredible. Usually a 330 game on Saturdays, then a 7pm game, oh and then a 10pm game. By then I'm hammered...LOL just kidding. Fan of the young Cleveland Indians...not much to listen to , but the youth movement is exciting.
    I highly recommend the XM boom box - NEVER a bad signal - and only $14.90 a month after equipment purchases. Go for it...you'll never miss a game!

5. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

We are HUGE St. Louis Cardinal fans (home opener Monday, CAN'T WAIT!!) and we love to listen to the game while sitting by the fire. Something about hearing Mike Shannon screams summer!

6. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

I am another Michigander that grew up listening to the Tigers and Ernie Harwell. Still miss Ernie [:(]

7. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

I do listen sometimes.

Cubs & WGN Radio. Gonna be another long year I'm afraid [V]

8. tjmc25

tjmc25 New Member

Yep as mentioned here before, go for the XM radio. They are the same company now but still have different packages and XM is the one with baseball. Love to hear a little Bob Uecker callin the Brewers games as I'm havin a cold one by the fire.
    Trevor

9. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

Two of my favorite things...Cardinals baseball and camping. :) There is just something about a ball game on the radio while you're sitting around your campsite. Mike Shannon *is* the voice of summer. It really doesn't get much better.

~Erin

10. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Yeap....

We do XM also. For the trailer we have a Pioneer Inno. My Wife has a Pioneer XMp3 for herself. She uses it in her car and as a portable when camping. Both are a bit larger than a Ipod with the XM embedded. Anyway. It plays through the radio in the trailer or I can stick it in the shirt pocket and listen to it while rideing my bike or hiking. Works really well. Also since the Sirius - XM merger, you can opt to get both program contents. This gives you the whole sports content from both. Works well for us and with life time subscription available now, no monthly cost..... Pay once and forget it from then on....

11. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

Love those Cardinals. I have a Goldstar 5 inch black and white TV with built in AM and FM radio that I keep in the PU...it's old, but it works well. Directv just ended their free weekend of MLB's "Extra Innings" [:(] so I've been enjoying watching my Cardinals and my DW's Phillies. Going through coverage withdrawl !

[​IMG]

A.M. can be fickle if you aren't in the signal "bounce" area and not close enough to the station transmitter (A.M. bounces off the ionsphere and then back down to the ground), but at night when the ionsphere lowers the signals improve...I love to listen to stations hundreds of miles away at night. I've heard Minneapolis, Chicago (WLS), and sometimes Los Angeles radio stations here in the Denver area at night. Also, we have a sports radio station here in Denver that broadcasts local and national games in F.M. You might want to check to see if Detroit has one as well.

One other option for me (in your situation) would be to connect my TV combo to an exterior antennna and use a signal amplifier for AM and FM.

I've thought about getting XM, but for me it doesn't make sense...I'm usually within range of regular radio station coverage.

12. sd102

sd102 New Member

From the title I thought you meant finding time to camp amid kids' baseball schedules. I can relate to that! But I am a Tigers fan too :)

13. rainier

rainier Living and Dieing In Three-Quarters Time

I run an XM radio with the Cubs in the afternoon and the Rockies in the evening/night. Few things better than sitting around a campfire with a radio playing the game and a couple cold ones.

14. mpkeon

mpkeon What A Looong Strange Trip It's Been

I have Sirius also and it's really great. I may have to upgrade this year to get the MLB side of things, the way I understand it, XM has MLB. Another altenative is the HD MLB package online at MLB.com

15. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Rambo ~ I do the same thing (minus the dutch oven). LOVE Tigers baseball...and they're off to a great start this year, aren't they?

The stereo is built in to the exterior of my PUP (think it's actually a marine-style radio) and can usually find the game somewhere.

@Hanson1522 ~ Even tho I live in Michigan, I'm a fan of the Birds on the Bat myself. Started my love affair when Dennis Eckersley was pitching for them. Followed him from the Cubs (used to be a big fan) to Oakland and then St Louis.

16. wirogue

wirogue New Member

+1 on XM with boombox. However, grew up with spring training Red Sox, Yaz and company so I follow them, but enjoy listening to any game I find.

17. rambo

rambo 2514g

thanks to everyone's reply's. I had already thought about getting xm or sirrrus radio but don't want any more monthly bills and i would rather listen to my teams radio announcers! OCD i guess. i would rather spend the money on a new portable radio..from what i have read online i should get one with a better am antenna or at least the ability to attach one.does anyone own either of these types of radios?? or have any thoughts on brands or models to get? how well do they work?. There are am radio stations throughout the state that air the ballgames-- but i may be 25 to 75 miles from any one station when i camp ... i want to be sure to get the stations in clearly enough to hear the tigers ballgame and not have to FIGHT WITH THE RADIO [:(!] [:(!] trying to get the stations in. come to think of it-- it's 2010-- all sports should be on FM radio if you ask me!! thank you for any help you could give me. :) :)

18. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

I here ya on the monthly bills. Thats why I have my XM units on lifetime plans. I paid one payment and thats it for life. Of course I set em up a while ago before I retired. I got the radios for free thru work(awards) so all I had to do was subscribe.

Anyway, the best AM units I've seen are multi band units made for short wave reception. They usually are the best I've found and most have the ability to hook up external antennas.

19. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Yup I agree nothing like listening to "Mr Baseball" calling the games for the Crew on a beautiful summer north woods evening. The bad thing is after sun down they turn down the signal and can barley make it out. [V] GO BREWERS!!! [:D]

20. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

+1 on XM.

Every game is on there. Can't beat that.

Go Phils!