Bass River State Park in NJ

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by mschepac, May 20, 2010.

1. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

Just curious if anyone has been to Bass River lately. We are currently without a dog. This will be an opportunity for us to do some NJ state parks.
    ms

2. bross1959

bross1959 New Member

Bass River is beautiful. We camped there many, many years ago when we tent camped with our children when they were small. It is as beautiful now as it was back 10-15 years ago. There is a lake that you can swim in, very clean. They are primitive sites so no hook ups, but there is water every few sites. It is not too inconvenient. This past year they had a pilot program where there were certain sites you could bring a dog. We did and Cody really loved it. Just google the park and I believe they tell you what you need to bring for your dog (vet records). Also, they almost never fill up, so I don't suggest making reservations. We did and the weekend we planned turned out to be one of the worst heat waves last year. We actually ended up having to leave because it was just tooo hot.

Also, there is an Acme and a dollar store really close if you need supplies, as well as many fast food stores, etc.

It is by far my son's favorite place to camp.

3. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers New Member

It’s been a few years and a pandemic since the last reviews of Bass River State Park campground were posted. Since we just returned, I thought it would be a good place for my first post here. (Long time lurker, first time poster.)
    Husband and I spent the weekend at Bass River SP with the Laramie. Stayed in spot #35, on the South Side Campground. We have never camped here before, and only ended up here because Hubby was supposed to run a long race on the nearby Batona trail that was cancelled. We already paid for the spot, and both kids are home right now due to the pandemic (aged 18 and 20), so we wanted a get away “just us”.
    Reviews I’d read said the North Shore Campground was densely packed- the online map when booking showed that, so we picked South Shore spot #35 because it was camper friendly and seemed furthest away from other people. When we arrived that proved to be true, and we would definitely pick that spot again. I checked the online booking portal prior to arrival to see if we'd have neighbors- and it looked like the entire campground was booked up! However, when we arrived, it turns out they had the entire North Shore closed, all the lean-tos and cabins were closed, and most of the sites in South Shore were posted as "closed". Not sure if this is for social distancing, or if there's work planned soon. There were probably only about 20 other spots taken in the whole campground. The two closest to us both had loud party groups, but luckily they weren’t right next to us. The Rangers drove through several times before dark, but after dark there was little to no State Park management presence. Fine for us, but if I’d been next to the partiers, I would have been annoyed because quiet times were not enforced. The bathrooms were not close to our spot, which was fine, we didn’t need them, we had the luggable loo for late night needs. Toilets were not too bad, and were cleaned regularly. An even cleaner private bathroom is attached to the park office- a drive or bike distance- open after 8am, if you fancy your privacy. The showers were not nice. I skipped them. I’m not a dainty one, but I couldn’t justify getting naked in those cramped, stained, buggy stalls. I think the park really should replace the bathroom/showers with whole new buildings. You can hear the Garden State Parkway from the campsites, if that’s a deal breaker for you. (Wasn’t for us, plus the partiers a ways over were much louder than the distant road noise.)
    Now- lots of recreating to be had here. Beach was closed, but looked like it would be fun. We had a great 5 mile hike on the Batona Trail, and put the canoe in the lake. Lake was beautiful-very clear and calm. The trail was well blazed and not crowded. Passed maybe 1 other person per mile. This would be a great campground for bicyclers too. We will come back for the recreation, but not for the facilities. And if it was booked up, this would be a pretty crowded campground. Recommend spot #35 for privacy, or spot #21 looked good as a backup option. You can take dogs if you pre register and bring paperwork.
    Also worth noting: The Pine Barrens have very little wildlife. While they gave us info on "bear safety" at check in- we didn't see any squirrels, chipmunks, or other forest creatures. I saw deer scat once, and a salamander. Hubs saw what was probably raccoon eyes a site over at night. That's it. It was a little strange to hardly see any wildlife.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.