Battery Box Layout on Tongue

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by David Branley, Sep 8, 2019.

1. David Branley

David Branley New Member

Hello,

I have a new to me 2007 Fleetwood Sunvalley. Battery is completed toast. Below is a picture of the current setup, box is for a Group 24.

My Goal is to get as much battery on there as possible, we plan to do a lot of boondocking in national forest.

Based on the current setup i have 15 inches of width on the narrowest piece of the tongue where i can place a battery box without affecting the flip up jack. I have have another 10 inches of width to the right of the propane tank.

Im open to 6v or 12v setup, whatever way i can get max amp hours for the space i have on the tongue. Any recommendations for how i should lay this out?

[​IMG]
    Thanks for your help,
    David

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You could swap places with the propane bottle and that will give you lots more room. Simple to make a new holder for the box. Angle iron on top of the frame

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I managed to put a group 29 box on my tongue and the crank only rubs the box a little. I have a 100watt solar panel to help give the battery a little more juice. So with me conserving and using the solar I can camp a long time as long as the weather is good. I have two propane tanks on my tongue so limited to how much battery I can put on. Then again I use the furnace so need the extra propane as well.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

yes - keeping the tongue jack crank handle clear of a standard (net 20LB, or 15LB ready-exchange) propane tank is not trivial.

ALSO - I want to keep my batteries inside the PUP - to avoid theft. AGMs are too $ to put outside. On the flip side - exterior flooded batteries are easier to maintain.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My new battery box is 59-inches wide. It will fit inside a welded on battery guide angles just perfect on top of my POPUP trailer tongue and extend out several inches out over both ends... My trailer has the front deck arrangement so this is my perfect situation to install a large battery bank to use. My new battery bank is two parallel groups of two 6VDC Golf cart batteries in series. I will also have a small area in the middle of the box for all of my terminals strips and other monitor and switch components (Blue Sea items from AMAZON)... This TORKLIFT box has the locking slide-off battery box top and will have two 10WATT Solar panel tied to each of the 6v Battery groups for trickle charging while in high Sun...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

My old battery bank of three 12VDC Batteries in parallel is shown here... Been using this since early 2009 and done me well over the years camping OFF-GRID like I enjoy doing...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I have been assembling my new battery box and added switching and monitoring items on my workbench and it has been working just great so for. Should be getting all of this on my trailer tongue pretty soon...

This is my working schematic for this new install except I will be using DURACELL 6VDC GOLF CART Batteries verses the Trojran T105's shown here...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. David Branley

David Branley New Member

Really great idea, i had not considered that. Currently angle iron for the propane is mounted under the A frame, for the battery box it is mounted on top of the A frame. Does this matter? Only benefit i can see is that under the A frame keeps the propane bottle a little lower but with that setup the entire weight is being borne by the rivets holding the angle iron the the frame.

7. Econ

Econ Member

Why Duracell vs T-105?

8. roybraddy

Purely cost factor... I would rather have T105's but they are double the cost...

Roy Ken

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

that's a lot of tongue weight

10. Econ

Econ Member

Roy,

Lets assume you are very nose heavy with a tongue weight well over 15%. Let's say that you are approaching or are above your TV tongue weight. Let's say a plan is to move the batteries inside, rewire, and stow just a couple feet behind the axle. I can't afford the last price I heard for Lithium but understand that you have to pay for quality. What would you get? Please be specific.

You have a heavy electrical load. My DW has an older, power guzzling CPAP and we boon dock a lot for 10 days at a time. There is a solar panel in the basement that I need to get around to next week. We live under a shade tree called the Deep South so don't know how that will work out. The high today is 100*F with who knows what heat index.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

11. roybraddy

My off-road popup trailer has the front deck which has a pretty high weight carry capacity... I think the DURACELL will weight just over 60lbs each... The trailer is designed to haul a 4-wheeler so I think I am well in spec weight wise on the tongue...

I have had 4ea INTERSTATE GP24 12V batteries on the front for several years with no problem weight wise...

This photo show three each GP24 Interstates... Originally had four on the tongue but one failed with over charging and boiled out all of the fluids...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. roybraddy

I pull a good 25AMPS DC or so at 12VDC between 6PM and 11PM with my Ham Radio requirements... With my three 12V GP24 Interstates I did just fine dropping down from fully charged to around 50% by the next morning at 6AM.... This is where I hookup my 2KW generator and charge my battery bank back up when allowed to at least it's 90% charge state with a three hour generator run time... Been doing this routine for many times after 2009 after I lost one of the GP24 batteries... Then I am good for the next day/night run off the batteries...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

David, get out your tape measure, note book, and laptop to get together the info for planning. Recognizing we would be camping in USFS CGs and informal sites, I worked out a plan to maximize battery size and placement, and propane tank(s) placement.

Some measurements I found useful:

Width across front frame at rear, midway and front, outside to outside .
    Length of front frame from rear edge of coupler to front wall of trailer box.
    Depth of frame.
    Outside dimensions of battery boxes for Group 24, 29 and 31 battery sizes.
    Dimensions of one and two tank propane tank mounting trays.
    Outside diameter of propane tanks (the tank part, not the foot or guard rings).

With this info do some scale drawing to see what you can fit where. Think flexibly- should battery boxes have the long dimension side to side, or fore and aft on the frame? Can tanks sit beside each other cross-wise, or could they sit fore and aft? Can you move the tongue jack to get a better arrangement?

Our final set up has the battery rails back by the cabin, with the rear rail barely longer than two group 31 boxes with long sides crosswise. Front rail leaves a couple of inches of boxes unsupported. Rails are welded to frame, boxes are secured to rails with four self tapping bolts each, with a flat washer to spread the load. This puts the weight of those big batteries as close to the axle as possible.

Tanks are on a two-tank tray from eTrailer, screwed to frame ahead of the battery boxes. Tank hold down is a large wing-nut clamping a notched bar across the tank guard rings. Had trouble with the bottom of this hold-down until I reinforced with fender and lock washers top and bottom, and an additional nut under the tray.

Have fun! Every time I read a Roy Brady post I chuckle at how much joy he must get from all his hardware!

14. David Branley

David Branley New Member

After looking at it from every angle I've decided to setup for flexibility.

The existing group 24 was mounted toward the front of the tongue with a single propane tank behind it. My plan is to modify the existing rail for a Group 31 battery box and start off with a single battery to see how things go and take some accurate measurements on out first few camping trips.Right now i don't know what i don't know.

With this layout I have the ability to add a second Group 31 box next to the propane tank or add a second propane tank there depending on the primary need for a given camping trip.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Instead of a group 31, why not a GC12, a smaller foot print than 2 6's. but a lot more amp hrs than a 31

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

never found one of these but on my PU. adds some room for a battery

batteryHolder.jpg