Battery Box wiring reconfiguration

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by rth3775, May 7, 2020.

1. rth3775

rth3775 New Member

Hello!

I am concerned with the original configuration of the main electrical feeds into the battery box of the new camper and I'm hoping for a sanity check on my thoughts:

The cables enter the battery box between the top of the box and the cover. Here is a visual: https://imgur.com/FkmprB1
    This makes it so these battery leads are "just" long enough to reach the battery (not really big deal) but the bigger concern is that this also seems to have created enough tension so that the cable jackets have "nicks" in them due to rubbing against the battery support rails outside of the box. The picture also has two arrows pointing to these spots. (This camper hasn't even been used once yet!)

So I am thinking that I would like to drill a hole in the bottom of the battery box so that these leads don't have to "squish" between the battery box and cover which will also give the leads a little extra slack in the box itself? And it seems the bottom would be best for weather protection? And I could add duct seal into the opening after the cables are in place? And as a final measure, I could add some split-flexible conduit around the cables outside of the battery box?

And also an added measure, I was also thinking of securing these battery leads to insulated junction posts (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B44F4ZW) inside the box so the main battery leads are permanently in place and then add a jumper lead over to the battery? Does this seem overkill or unnecessary?

Thank you!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I have gone thru the sides of the battery box with the cables. I even mounted a junction box on the side.

You can get as fancy as you want ...sounds like overkill, but so what. Don't forget to drill drain holes in the bottom of your box so water will run out.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Also .......

Welcome.png

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Welcome the the Portal from Southern Ontario.

I have a homemade battery box on mine, and yes I have the wires entering the box from the bottom. The extra insulated posts may be a bit of overkill. Anywhere battery cables join other cables on a nut and stud, there is always opportunity for bad connections and growth of that crud that happens on battery posts.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I would go through the bottom of the box and mount a cutoff switch to the side or top of the box..

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

IMO much ado about nothing. If wear points on the cable(s) bother you just add a layer or two of shrink wrap tubing. I always have drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of battery boxes mounted on the trailer tongue so any water can drain out. Personally I wouldn't add any more connection points than needed - the fewer, the better. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    kcsa75 and Jimbow like this.
  7. rth3775

rth3775 New Member

Raycfe and Wrenchgear, thanks for the welcome!

Wrenchgear and GreyFox, thanks for the confirmation on the battery terminal posts... They do add unnecessary complexity, I was thinking it would keep the wires in place, which was my concern after already seeing a number of small nicks in the cable jackets. But I will add split-flexible conduit, or shrink wrap as GreyFox mentioned, to alleviate this concern.

Snow, that's exactly why I'd like to have the extra slack inside the battery box... so I can wire a disconnect switch! I started in on this little rabbit hole after the CO/Propane alarm started alerting me to a low battery after it had been home for its first ~3 weeks and learned that said CO/Propane alarm was likely a culprit of the battery drain! I'm sure I'll discover many more things for me to overthink as I go along!

Thank you to all, it's nice to discuss things before changing anything on a new rig as a newbie!

Ron

Snow likes this.
  8. rth3775

rth3775 New Member

In case anyone was interested, here's the before and after: https://imgur.com/a/iFRXSfg

The camper and power winch leads now enter thru the bottom and have some split duct around them... much cleaner!

Thanks again!

Ron

Kyle R Thorson and jackquontee like this.
  9. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

I have a thing for organization, as well. Can't stand to see things messy. Good job.

rth3775 likes this.