Battery Box

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by _WW_, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. _WW_

_WW_ Member

Discovered something on my 2006 Chalet Alpine. The battery box has a couple of little raised squares on the top of the box. Their purpose is to vent the box in case of any kind of gas build up. The problem is that any water sitting on top of the box will drain into the box through these vents. At the time I kept my trailer covered but not the tongue. Living here in the PNW it rains all winter. In the spring I went to change the porch light bulb to LED and it wouldn't come on. Traced back through the electrical system until I got to the battery.

Opened the battery box and discovered it was completely full of water - covering both terminals of the battery. Disconnected the battery and pulled it out. There wasn't a single drain hole in the box! By golly there is now though :)...several to be exact. Fortunately, the battery survived.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

A lot of us do that "Drill some holes in the battery Box"... This defeats the battery box however as it's main purpose is to capture battery acid fluids that boil out of your battery and not get on your metal components and destroy them...

In my setup that is outside on the trailer tongue draining down from the battery box would be directly to the ground so drilling holes in the battery box to drain off rain water wasn't that big a deal.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Those plastic battery cases you find at WALMART sure do have large holes in them to route the battery cables thru the lids... I guess having a battery case inside an compartment would be a different story for me cutting additional holes in the bottom of the case.

[​IMG]
    Google image

I know my new battery box that is from TORKLIFT came with special material to place on the bottom floor where the batteries set. I never read up on them but they have something to do with battery acid... My new battery box will sit on the same metal angle rails on the trailer tongue but has a good slide on top that should be somewhat water tight. All of my battery cabling will come through the side walls of the metal Torklift box using the PVC Electrical Conduit Boxes... No more large gapping holes near the top anymore...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I also store my pup outside, but only during the camping season. I just replaced my battery box last year. I did remember to add a few drain holes in the bottom of the box. Even with the drain holes, I always throw a plastic trash bag over the top of the battery box when it is not in use. Looks tacky but it keeps the box dry.

jmkay1 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Now that I think about it, I don't think my battery box has drainage holes either when I decided to upgrade my battery. However I don't remember the air holes being in a very water prone place.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I have an old automotive carpet square over my TT battery box, rubber side up. I scrap a car now & again, so I just keep the factory floor mats. I have them in my storage compartments and entry to each camper door, heck I have them in the trunk of my new car too! You can kneel down on them anytime to change a tire, hook up trailers, pull chains, store dirty parts, leave my boots on or pray my wife doesn't find about the next car I'm bringing home....

Any local junk yard should let you walk the yard to find what you want. FYI - minivans have the biggest mats, under the kid seats! They will be crushed in the car, so a nice cash sale to them. Did I say don't ask for a receipt? Yep, don't do that [:D] Say thanks, don't smash windows for fun, pay cash.

BikeNFish likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We didn't seem to have an issue with rain water in the Cobalt battery box, nor the first one on the TT. Once we changed to dual 6 v batteries, we found that on one of them, the vent holes are right under the drip line of the curved front of the trailer. The battery was in 3" of water, so we drilled drain holes.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Even if you don't have the holes on top.Driving through a rain storm you will get water in the box. I always drill 4 1/8 in holes in the low points.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of issues with the Aliner battery setup. Battery box is put on an open sided frame so it could slide off, if the cheap strap failed. Bottom of the box was stepped, so I had to cut Lexan shims so I could run the bolts through the high steps. I bolted the box to the battery frame to stabilize it, and then had bolt heads inside that the battery could rest on. I made a Lexan false floor to protect the battery from the bolt heads. Also drilled drain holes, in the box bottom low steps, to discharge below the frame. Battery was smaller than the box. I put in foam pieces, in the battery box, to keep the battery in place. Also waterproofed the main fuse connections. I got a better strap to hold the box top on, too.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@WrkrBee - I never trusted that I could get the webbing strap tight enough that it was secure on the road. The metal locking strap we got for the group 24 batteries made that more secure. The locking strap doesn't fit our current 6v boxes, so we changed to Masterlock Python cables.