Battery cable connection?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Cassiemc, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Cassiemc

Cassiemc New Member

I have a Flagstaff Mac 2015. A few years ago the battery was stolen. I think my ex-husband had to rewire it. Anyways, the new battery keeps popping the fuse. Do I have the connections right? If so, what else could be wrong? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would think the red wire doesn't belong on the negative terminal.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

which fuse? There is likely a batt fuse and a reverse protection fuse. A few more for different 12v circuits like lights, furnace water pump etc. Post a pic of the fuses

4. Cassiemc

Cassiemc New Member

I have reconnected the connections based on some research here, fuse has stopped blowing and lights/fan work on battery power. Yay! But the power winch isn't working at all. It doesn't even try, like it's getting no power at all. Any ideas?

As far as the fuse goes,it is the sixth one down. The one labeled 25, it's supposed to be 20, but I blew them all. Will get 20 at store tomorrow. IMG_20200606_201128620.jpg

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

On that door that folded down there is a list on the right side, it tells you what is ran on that fuse.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

P.s.
    When you get the battery wired correctly, take a picture. Then you'll always have it handy just in case.
    That silver box silver box attached to the positive terminal is an automatic resetting circuit breaker so to speak. It may be bad. Use a multimeter to see if current is flowing thru it.

Cassiemc likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Trace the wires from the power winch ....... maybe a red and black wires ...IF SO ........ connect the red to the positive and that black to the negative. If the winch now works and no fuses blow ....... Make the wires with what they are for and to which terminal they go to.

Cassiemc likes this.
  8. Cassiemc

Cassiemc New Member

definitely what I'm doing tomorrow, was just looking at replacements for it :)

9. Cassiemc

Cassiemc New Member

will try that as well! Thanks!

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Even though the wiring of a camper uses the same colors as household wiring ..... Black is pos and white is negative. An automobile doesn't. usually black is used for ground wires(-). and red for power wires (+) and many things that are added to a camper such as water pumps winches etc follow the automotive wiring codes. Confusing I know but what I say.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

clearly at the top is states 30A max for circuit 6 winch should be the battery.

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

What picture are you looking at?
    Here it is blown up... Screenshot_20200606-215931_Samsung Internet.jpg

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

bheff the picture posted of the power center!!! HTH
    BTW in 1/2 day kindergarten or 1st grade I was a 'blue bird', the 'red birds' were advanced in their reading, still trying to catch up many decades later.
    wfco.jpg
    page 8 of the document confirms that
    https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/8700-Series-Manual-web.pdf

A better pic or a closer look may reveal words etc written right on the circuit board that holds the fuse, something like #6 battery circuit

AFIK WFCOs have an issue going into bulk 14.4v charging as advertised
    A very discharged battery can accept high current, my question would be has the OP's 20A been blowing cuz your battery is deeply discharged or for some other reason.

Cassiemc, Please add your PUs make/model to your signature, it is helpful for future posts. https://www.popupportal.com/account/signature

Battery wire should be fused at both ends as both converter and batt are SOURCES.
    Winch should be fused at batt as batt is the source.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

It is odd to me that the company puts conflicting numbers on the converter. Maybe the keyword is "max". I'm reading that as it can be up to 30amps but as wired only 20 amp fuses should be used?...hmm

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just use a 20 amp fuse.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Fuse is based on wire used but it is silly to use small wire that can not handle the max charge current of the charger!

Same issue with small breakers at the battery, if the converter never goes in bulk mode the small 15A breaker will likely never reset even on a 25A converter. Breakers work both current flow directions.

When a water pump calls for a 7.5A fuse, ya either add inline at the pump where the wire gets smaller or you change out the circuit fuse of say 15A and isolate the water pump on that circuit. But ya need to know this so later ya don't change the 7.5A for a 15A.

17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Rabird

you cannot literally mean this
    "Battery wire should be fused at both ends as both converter and battery are SOURCES."

a conductor only needs one fuse within its length to control current in the conductor

btw - a fuse could be at the load end of a conductor and be just fine - its only that we tend to put them at the common source (a breaker or fuse panel)

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

yes I do, I want the breaker/fuse to be very near the source to protect the wires, if the fuse is far away with a short in the middle the fuse SEES no current due to the short and the wires melt with full battery current. Even if the fuse 'blew', full current from the source to the short melts the wires! Your power center is fused and you batt + should be as well.

For a winch (load), the fuse is near the battery + so the battery wires can not short easily. cuz the wire before the fuse is unprotected by the fuse.

The breakers in my house protect my wires and not the ones supplying my house, there is a breaker in the transformer (source) for that!

19. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Anthony. Every camper battery connection I have seen has been protected at both end ..... circuit breaker at the battery and a protection fuse at the convertor. Just saying.

20. stierheim

stierheim Member

Putting protection at the load is a very dangerous practice which should never be done. The National Electric Code (NEC) REQUIRES circuit protection be be at the power source, protection must not be downstream.

What good is protection located at the load when the line is accidentally shorted due to abrasion or some other event and the unprotected line starts a fire.