Battery charge?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Mark1982, May 7, 2016.

1. Mark1982

Mark1982 New Member

Hello,

I have a rockwood freedom 1940 Ltd, the battery is dead, how do I charge this battery, have had the trailer plugged in for hours, but still no power to the winch..does the unit charge the batter when plugged in? Is there a switch you have to flick inside to do this? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

This may help responders
    Knowing if your own a voltmeter may help also.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Mark, are you sure the converter has an on-board charger? What's the make and model of the converter?

Additionally, check the battery voltage. It is possible that the plates shorted out during the off season. Have you used it at all this year? Was it working then died?

RTM for the converter. Search the manuals section or Google it.

4. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

A good first step would be to take the battery out of the pup and try a "proper" charger, ideally a 3-stage one.
    Many converters are, at best, only marginally adequate as chargers.
    They can maintain a battery, but they're not up to bringing it back from the dead :)

5. Mark1982

Mark1982 New Member

Hello, worked earlier in the year when I did a quick set up, Is now completely dead, battery is 1.5 yrs old. I tried boosting it from a car, a few sparks came off and it powered the winch for a second or so, now does nothing, even if hooked to running car, not sure if the trailer even has an invertor. Is it possible that I did some damage by boosting from car?

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If you hooked it up correctly, I believe the battery may have shorted out internally, that's why it can't take or hold a charge. This can happen if the plates get exposed to air due to low acid levels. I'm guessing it's old and think you need to replace it. Is there a date sticker on it?

Search "battery university" on Google to read up on charging, using and maintaining deep cycle batteries.

Also familiarize yourself with monitoring and measuring the state of charge while you're there.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

yes it should and is easy to test with a volt meter.
    Plugged in means the power center is getting power, power is supplied to the AC to DC converter in the power center and then to the 12v fuse panel. One fuse will be reverse protection fuse and one for the battery charge circuit. Both these fuses need to be good for 'converter' power to make it to the battery. There should also be a fuse/circuit breaker at the battery that needs to be good.

Winch should have it own fuse or circuit breaker, if the battery draws down the vehicle power too low, increase in current happens which can blow/trip the fuse/breaker.

A common practice is to disconnect the battery when not in use so the propane/CO detector(s) do not drain the battery, other leave it plugged in all the time.

8. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Most auto parts stores will charge and test the battery for you. This I would do first and see if it is the battery or not. Then when reconnecting the battery make sure to clean the terminals fully. If the winch still doesn't function there should be a manual crank this way you can get in and then check fuses.