Battery Charger Charge Rate 3 or 12 amp

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by AZJim1, Sep 29, 2021.

1. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

I just bought a new 12 volt Deep Cycle and Marine Group 29 Battery and I typically charge it at home before and after trips with a Schumacher Speed Charge battery charger/maintainer. It has two charge rate settings "Power Sport - 3 amp" and "Automotive - 12 amp". I am wondering which setting is better for the battery and will give the longest use?

I think I remember reading somewhere that ideally you should charge at the rate closest to the discharge rate? Or does it just really not matter that much?

It does charge differently as if I charge the battery to 100% on say the 12 amp setting and then unplug the charger and then hook it back up and charge at the 3 amp setting it will charge again for a little while before reaching 100%.

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The faster you get the battery recharged the longer it will last. 12 amps will recharge 4 times faster. My speed charger will go into maintenance mode when fully charged whether it's set at 12 or 4 amps so really no need to unplug and reset, though I often do. When I set the charger for maintenance during the winter I use the lower amp setting.

3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

That charger is fully automatic. It will charge at the high rate as long as it can and then step brown all automatically. You have an automotive sized battery, use that setting.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

12A is not too much for a G29
    3A ain't very much for a G29