Battery Connection ? 98 coleman sea pine

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Bestshooter, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Bestshooter

Bestshooter Member

ok guys ,
    I’m trying to fix up some of the Jenky stuff the previous owners did to this pup . I believe the white plug is for a battery hookup am I correct ? There is a black and white wire coming from it . My next question is where can I find a replacement plug for this it looks like it was smashed and where can I find the other connector I guess harness that attaches to a battery ?
    My last question I believe the blue wire is to my brakes correct ? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

4. Bestshooter

Bestshooter Member

5. Bestshooter

Bestshooter Member

Ok prob stupid question too but making sure I do this right . Will I take both the cut blue wires and one side of the breakaway switch and splice those 3 together , then other side of breakaway just goes to ground ? Is this right ? Thanks sorry for stupid questions . I ordered a breakaway switch now too .

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Since the plant in Somerset was closed back in 2011 you won't find this trailer end connector which was part of the harness that ran through the frame of the trailer back to the converter. Rather than order the harness from Coleman Popup Parts that requires the use of the matching 2-pin plug on the trailer end you'd be better off cutting the damaged connector off, replacing it with a more common 2-pin connector. Then, make up your own battery harness using a matching 2-pin connector - a lot cheaper as well than ordering that Fleetwood harness.

Kerry L. Calkins likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would just eliminate the plug altogether. The plug was just for factory assembly. OR. google Andersen connectors a better connector than the factory used.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 5.56.32 PM.png

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The breakaway will be bolted to your frame. It has two wires coming out of it, both blue. One goes to the blue wires on trailer. The second wire is attached to the positive terminal of the battery. If the pin is pulled on the switch, it automatically sends power to the trailer brakes to stop the trailer. Both

From a different post, I take it your trailer doesn’t have brakes. If that is the case, just resplice the two blue wires together. Until you have brakes installed.

Colemanpopupparts.com also have the shop manuals and the wiring diagrams for most Coleman pups. The are free to access and download. Handy stuff.

9. Bestshooter

Bestshooter Member

I just installed a new axle with electric brakes , I’m trying to get this camper back to original settings lol.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Did they run a new power line for the brakes? If so, that’s the one that needs to get attached to the breakaway switch and resplice (or leave alone) those two together.

11. Bestshooter

Bestshooter Member

Not sure what you’re meaning . The previous owner swapped the original axle that had brakes to an axle without brakes . They in turn cut the blue wire in the front that connects to the 7way plug and the blue wire that were at the axle . I just bought a brand new upgraded to 3500 lb axle from dexter axle with brakes and put it on . I haven’t connected the wires yet . The owner also pulled the battery off the camper I guess because they only used shore power so they wrapped the connecter up . I am in turn trying to fix it up and get things wired back to original where I can use a battery and the electric brakes work . That’s all I’m trying to figure out . So I ordered a break out box that I will wire into the brake wires at the front now I’m figuring out a wiring harness for the battery now .

Thanks

12. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

+1 on this, that connector is garbage. I dumped it and spliced the wires together.