Battery/ electrical troubleshooting

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by anothersmith, Sep 19, 2019.

1. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

i just purchased a used 2008 Jayco 1206. I failed to check the lights etc when buying it‍♀️

The lights work when plugged in but once I unplug they go off. I checked the fuse and it looks fine. Just dead battery? Without a volt meter I’m not sure how to test them.

If I need to replace the battery then what’s the best to replace with? I think the current ones are golf cart batteries, there’s 2 of them.

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Get a cheap multimeter at harbor freight, check battery and go from there. Battery should charge when plugged in.

3. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks.

I left it plugged in for 1.5 days, unplugged it and got nothing. I’d expect there to be at least some juice in them. I think they are at least 6 years old.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The type of battery depends on what kind of camping you intend to do. .For boondocking the golf cart batteries would be good, they are usually 6 volt wired in series to make 12 v.(easy way is to count the fill holes, 6 v has three and 12v has 6)
    If you are going to spend your camping time where there are electrical hook up then a type 24 or 27 12 volt battery should do you just fine. The batteries could be dead (reading 0 v. ) With the unit plugged in you can see if the converter is charging using a volt meter, (HF cheapie will work) you should get about 13.2 v for it to be charging. If not check the fuses, breakers etc. before giving up on the converter, also check on the tongue (usually) for an inline fuse or sometimes a breaker. Just take your time and you will get the problem fixed.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

which fuse? There should be 3 to check. One at the battery + and 2 in the power center (reverse protection and battery).

Leaving a battery connected will cause it to discharge due to the CO/propane detector that is always on. When ya get another battery take care of it, charge it fully ASAP after use, monthly or so in storage or use a battery tender, and disconnect the battery so it does not commit suicide via the constant drain of the detector(s).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You say batteries ....... what kind of setup do you have.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

8. Econ

Econ Active Member

First question. The Battery. Connect an auto battery charger directly to the battery. Come back a day later. Put multi meter on it. Is there more than 12 volts? Battery bad if not. Get a new battery.

Make sure there is distilled water in the individual cells of the old battery.

While battery is charging, see first paragraph, try to turn on something 12 volt.

My guess: People usually sell stuff because they quit using it. This probably means the battery probably hasn't been charged for a while before the sale sign went up and went bad.. Also deferred maintenance. Could be the batteries were marginal for a long time.. Try paragraph #1

kitphantom likes this.
  9. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

turns out it was just a blown fuse‍♀️

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great ....

11. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Yup! Troubleshooting 101: check the easy stuff first! :D

12. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Where is this fuse and what does it supply power to.
    The long answer.

14. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Thanks for this, supper helpful.

The fuse is at the battery, there’s 2 wires. One is AWG 6 and the smaller is 10.
    Per the chart in that link, and the quote from that site shown below. going by the smallest wire, I’d need a 30amp fuse.

Quote- One common misconception about choosing the correct fuse size is that it’s dependent on the load of the circuit. Actually, the load of the circuit should have nothing to do with choosing a fuse size. The fuse size should be based on the SMALLEST wire (largest gage number) in the circuit.

There is a small fridge and a heater but they are both off. So only the lights have been on.

It looks like the fuse might be undersized at just 10amp?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If the fused wire is 10 gauge you can go up to 30 amps on the fuse, but if all that was on was the lights a 10 amp fuse should not have blown. Turn the lights off before you put the new fuse in and try turning on each individual light separateiy. Then turn it off before you turn the next one on.

16. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

the interesting bit is that with just the lights, and CO’2 alarm, the fuse didn’t blow over night.

only when I got it home did it blow.
    Could be that when it’s plugged in there’s too much power going to the battery from the 7pin. The fuse coming from the car battery, per the E-trailer instructions, is 40amp.

mill try plugging in with My car and a 10 amp then the same with a 30amp

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If you are charging a discharged battery from the TV through a 10 amp fuse the vehicle can supply more power than the fuse can handle. Mine has the same size wire and has a 25 amp supplying the PUP. My charge circuit has a separate 15 amp fuse to the 7 pin connector.

18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If your batteries are shot the charge current from the converter, when plugged into shore power, would blow a 10 amp fuse. Same with plugging it into the tv 7 pin.

Sounds like you need to charge or replace your trailer battery. Once you have a good 12 volt source it will make debugging the issue, if any, much easier.