1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

not asking for help - because things happen... but on our recent trip, I had two batteries in parallel, an Interstate (provenance unknown, came with the used camper) and an Everstart (2016) - one each side in the rear under-seat spaces. I checked the cells about two weeks ago - all cells full. Checked today, one cell in the Interstate was bone dry. Both had been charged (in parallel) by the Renogy Rover Controller with daily DC-DC boost (using a Renogy unit) from other exterior battery-PV setup (due to issues with forest canopy over the Aliner). I will replace both batteries and start again with a matched pair.

The boiled-off acid damaged my backpack and my wife's backpack in a few places (because the vented battery box lid came ajar. My two vented battery boxes inherently have a problem - if you clamp them tight then you have a real pain to inspect the cells. I am reluctant to move the (inside) batteries outside, on to the tongue - because there not much space for two batteries and the propane tank.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Replace your flooded batts with AGM which are zero maintenance other than charging of course.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

As stated above use AGM's inside. There is no need to vent the AGM's

4. Anthony Hitchings

UPDATE: the cell that "boiled off" actually also (mostly is my guess) drained out - there was a crack in the case - likely caused from the trailer going over a bump - and maybe by a weakness in the battery case itself.. The battery box had a drain in its floor - so most of the electrolyte exited out the bottom.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Before I buy any AGM battery I would need to get smarter about using AGMs with a Renogy Rover charge controller - there is a warning in the manual to not (!!) use the equalization feature with AGM batteries. I might be able to use the Renogy Rover if I use a custom charging profile (programmed with the Bluetooth module and APP)

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The Rover has different charge profile for FLA, AGM and GEL batteries. Consult the included manual.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The rover can be changed to battery type 'USER' (without BT app) where equalization can be turned off or set to the same voltage as 'boost'. The default sealed battery type is perfect for most AGMs, fine tuning if you can find battery makers recommendations. The default equalize for sealed batteries is minimal @ 2hrs/monthly @ 14.6v (temp corrected). That is not much of a 'equalization' charge, more of a top charge to keep the battery fully charged.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

I have the manual - battery types listed are GEL, Sealed, Flooded, LI, USER - AGM is not specifically listed. Which is why I prefer to be safe than sorry after buying two AGMs. Doing my homework first, just to be sure of the outcome.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

UPDATE - I found out why the battery failed - when I installed the new battery box on screw in the base failed to drive home - and I never went back to finish the job. During the course of several thousand miles the screw head dug into the end of the battery and cause the adjacent cell to leak down slowly. So it was my workmanship at fault, and nothing of an electrical nature.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Well, since y'all; favor AGMs and it seems a good fit or their locations (under the bed head and toe) - do you have any favorite brands/models that you would care to recommend?

I prefer that they fit inside my existing battery boxes which take a Group 27 battery.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

2 x 6v GC for me on the tongue ~$180 + tax + core from sams.
    Their G31 AGM is ~$180 + ...

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I installed a false bottom, in my battery box, in case a bolt may back out. Battery is also blocked with foam pads to keep side to side movement checked.

14. Econ

Econ Member

The dealer that install the battery box on mine did it that way. I know what today's project is.

I second the request for people to list their favorite AGM battery. This is a future project. If using flooded lead acid will probably go with Trojan T-105's. After the DW's modification list is completed will chose the battery location based on tongue weight.