Battery hook up - Coleman Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Canadian Campers, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Canadian Campers

Canadian Campers New Member

Our 2000 Coleman Fleetwood, Sante Fe didn't come with a battery hooked up, so I need assistance from you in doing this correctly and answering a few questions.

There is a plug sticking out of the tongue of the trailer with a connector on it and a blue wire also hanging out beside that, what is that blue wire about?

I have the extension wire to plug into an auxiliary port in the TV and can run the 12 volt system with it while towing and while at the campsite using a set of clips on the battery to an auxiliary portbut what is the standard way to hook up the battery on one of these? Show me your setup please.

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

We'll show you ours if you show us yours........ Seriously, pictures will help the members with real knowledge to help you. Did you look in your owner's manual?

3. Canadian Campers

Owner's Manual would likely be helpful, but unfortunately I am without one of those.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. DJS12354

Trying looking through this list for your manual. Also, your image did not come through. Did you use the upload a file button?

5. Canadian Campers

Check now, I uploaded it.
    Which list?

6. DJS12354

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It sounds like all you need is a battery harness. You can buy one though colemanpopupparts.com. The blue wire is where a break-a-way switch would be attached once installed. I didn't get a photo of the whole battery harness but you can see the connection. As you can see I didn't have a break-a-way switch installed at the time either. Didn't get a photo after the installation unfortunatlly. If your looks similar you are just looking at the batrery harness. You can buy a break-a-way switch pretty much anywhere. A break-a-way swich is a devise that will stop your camper using its electric breaks if the camper was to become unhooked from your car. IMG_20160416_143722684_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

neighbormike and Raycfe like this.
  8. Canadian Campers

9. Loren

Loren New Member

I have a similar issue and thought I'd jump in here to see if you could help me as well. Received a 94 Palomino Mustang that has needed some work. It didn't come with a battery so I bought one and connected it to some wires coming out of the trailer but nothing worked. I attached the pictures of the wires. I connected the white to the negative and the red to the positive. I'm really confused about the wires coming off of each of the main wires. There is nothing in the manual (but it looks like a post-production job anyway). Also, I haven't checked fuses

And while we're talking about wiring- the wiring has 8 wires and I'm connecting them to a 7 wire harness. Here's the difference: instead of a yellow wire, it has a gray wire and an extra white wire. According to the manual, the gray wire is for "refer" (being a newbie, I had to do some research and I'm assuming that means refrigerator, which this PUP doesn't have) and the extra white is "ground for electric brakes." I'm assuming that I would ground the extra white wire to the same place as the other white wire. What about the gray wire? Should I attach it to where the yellow wire would go?

trailer wire 1.JPG
    trailer wire 2.JPG

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you have electric brakes you need to hook up the wires to an emergency switch. Mine has 2 sides. So you probubly need a power feed and the white wire to hook it up. Does your pop up have electric breaks?

11. Sjm9911

12. Loren

Loren New Member

Thank you for your responses! I have no idea if it has power brakes. There's nothing in the manual nor in any of the paperwork I received with the trailer. Is there a way of checking easily? Would those wires coming off the battery wires (assuming those are battery wires) indicate that it does have electric brakes, or perhaps the fact that it has a blue wire in the bundle (which, according to the manual, is for electric brakes). And so if it does have electric brakes, are those spur wires most likely used for that purpose?

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The red wire with the blue wire spliced to it goes to the positive battery terminal. On the white, cut that little pigtail off and the white wire goes to negative terminal.
    Now check the battery fuse in the convertor.... Usually yellow 20 amp.

14. Loren

Loren New Member

Thanks for all the help. Apparently, there is a kill switch that disengages the battery flow when the camper is packed up. It had gone bad so the battery flow never got reengaged. Everything is working now.

15. Sjm9911

Glad you found it, and you just have me a great idea! I must install one of these!