Battery Issues!

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by PopUpSteve, Aug 27, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Having a problem where my batteries are not charging while on the road. Don’t know if also a problem on shore power as I have been dry camping the whole trip. Solar is charging but that’s not helping. Any thoughts?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Check your TV plug and wires. May not be connecting properly.

3. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Having a similar problem this last time out. The convertor charger doesn't seem to be keeping up with minimal battery load with LED lights and phone charging. Hit the battery with a multimeter when I got home and plugged into the house....only getting 13.08-13.1 volts back to the battery....seems way to low to me...guessing its time for a new convertor in my case.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Take your voltmeter and start checking at the trailer connection. Don't know how many watts of solar you have, but a 100 watt panel will make a difference by the days end

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I noticed once my TV wasn't charging the camper. I boutght a test light and tested the connectors on the pigtail both on the TV side and trailer. On mine the light failed to light on the tV side for the charging. Checked the fuse on my car and discovered it blown. Hopefully it's something equally simple.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

volt meter! Extremely low battery (10v) in the morning before solar may be a bad cell.
    probing both sides of the TV / trailer connector, trailer side should measure battery voltage, TV side should show TV alternator voltage.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If you have the Honda trailer wiring, check the under-hood fuses - there is a small fuse box that houses the trailer fuses - easy to check at least!

PopUpSteve likes this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

My first thought would be to stop someplace with shore power to charge the batteries overnight. If they're below 50% SOC it will take several hours driving to get back above 80%.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, check the fuses. We haven't had the issue, but friends did, and it turned out to be the fuse in the TV.
    We've had to clean the contacts in the connector plug, especially when it just sat out int he weather. While ours is now parked in a covered holder attached to the A-freame, we still do clean them occasionally.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Steve you and me both ...... haven't looked at it yet. Came home with dead battery.

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That was one of my concerns. I can see the outer casing has slipped away from the plug. But the plug is a solid piece with no screws so I can’t open it up. Best I can do is cut it and replace the entire unit. But I don’t have a proper wiring diagram.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

As other mentioned, try checking with a meter on both sides. Then you can see if you need to replace the plug or not. If so, you should be able to find a diagram online.

13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You do now. ;)

[​IMG]

PopUpSteve and NMroamer like this.
  14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I actually used jumper cables to give the batteries a good charge today. It’s only going down to 50 tonight so I probably won’t even turn on the heater. So the batteries should be good to crack down the roof tomorrow.

I’m looking into the Honda tow package fuse idea.

neighbormike likes this.