Battery monitor? Surge protector?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by JimPH, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hope it works out for the best, we dont get a lot of tornadoes up here. But i do get to go out in the hurricanes and stuff , not fun.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  2. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

I’ll take hurricanes any day. We know they are coming for a week and can get prepared. None of this Surprise! There’s a tornado...

Econ likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'll hope for neither, as I've been in hurricanes. As i said not fun. Unfortunately, prepared or not dosen't help with what i have to do in them. Im the idiot outside. Lol.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Its dark thirty. Second wave came early. Fell asleep during it. We have redundant Midlands. They can wake the dead when they go off. Its over. turned floodlights on. Aliner looks ok from a distance. no obvious trees down. had one come within 10 miles.

DiamondGirl, Sjm9911 and Hilldweller like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I added a Victron BMV-700 battery monitor BMV-700
    And a Progressive Industries surge protector EMSHW30C
    I'm very happy with them both. The EMS is there for "what if". The BMV-700 is used any time I'm dry camping and it really helps budgeting my battery capacity. Especially if there isn't a lot of sun for my solar set up

6. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

Good to hear you made it through safely!

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Econ... Glad you’re ok. Sending best the wishes from AZ. We have HOT weather and CRAZY monsoon/Haboobs here in the desert. It’s CRAZY to live in 120° weather. It can cook your brains cells.

Happy Camping...[put&hy]

8. Steve Ogden

Steve Ogden New Member

In my 2018 Aliner, I use one of the Progressive-type surge protectors on the extremely rare occasions I'm not boondocking. I love my Victron battery monitor with bluetooth. Can check battery status on the iPhone app anywhere within 30 ft or so. Driving down the road, at the picnic table, etc. Installation was simple too: rather than going through the trouble of running wire from the battery to where I want it mounted inside the unit, I simply check battery status on my iPhone app. It's sweet. Its mounted at the battery box inside a small junction box (bolted to the top of the battery box). The system works great - going into 3rd season of use. Much easier to do all the wiring at the battery box. Only downside to the Victron is it's pricy compared to other options. Price isn't same as value.

9. MyName

MyName Active Member

10. afidmt

afidmt Member

A surge protector is a MUST have !!! any that have been mentioned are a great choice -- I put a voltage panel as mentioned -- but just didn't give me what I needed -- As one member said - the Victron Battery monitor took my breath away - and I just didn't need the bluetooh connection -- I saw this one -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FGFFHC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just lik the Victron, just no bluetooth and a fraction of the price -- out on a trip right now and works like a dream -- just make sure you get the correct length cabel with it -- it comes with a 6ft one - and the other lengths ARE NOT EXTENSIONS !! found that out the hard way --

Other than that works like it supposed to

Safe Travels

Alex

11. TetonPug

TetonPug New Member

looking for some wiring advice and placement of a battery capacity monitor in my 2018 Aliner classic. I purchased the Aili 100a 300A. My battery (AGM) is still external on the tongue (next Lithium battery will be inside). What is the best location to mount the shunt so I can still get I direct wire to my battery. I would like to mount the monitor inside by the water pump switch, Anyone out there performed this? Would appreciate any info.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FGFFHC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

FYI - surge protector madness has hit a new high, the latest NEC code requires a whole-house surge protector for your home (new builds, or upgrades)