Battery not charging when plugged on the 110?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Alex Gagnon, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Alex Gagnon

Alex Gagnon New Member

Hi,

I'm new in the Pop Up world, still have a lot to learn.

I have a 2004 Coleman Carmel.

This week I started to hear a Beep-Beep-Beep from the inside of the Pop Up, research on the internet told me that it was probably the LP detector warning me that the battery is low (internet was right). Seems like the LP detector can drain the battery in about a month when the RV is not used.

So I plugged the popup on my house exterior outlet thinking it will recharge the battery and the Beep-Beep-Beep didn't stop. I let the popup plugged-in all night long and on the morning the battery was still low charge.

So I plugged my battery charger directly on the battery and at the seconds the charger start the Beep end. A night later my battery was full.

So it's mean by battery is not charging using the 110. Why? Is it because the popup is close? Is there a switch somewhere that I should open so the battery will charge?

Last camping trip was fine, eveything works as it should. Battery is charging on the road using the trailer wires, etc.

Thanks for your help.
    Alex

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Sounds like your converter is pooched. :(

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Keep the battery charger handy! Give the battery a full overnight charge monthly, and disconnect the battery from the PU so it does not drain.

Troubleshoot your power center/converter.

4. Alex Gagnon

Alex Gagnon New Member

Doest that mean nothing will work when plugged? I mean, the lights, the pump, the fridge, the heater fan, etc does a broken converter affect all this? Or is it only that the battery will not charge. Because I can leave until the end of the season with a battery that dont charge on the 110.

5. GreyFox

Sure, 12 vdc devices draw power from the converter when the trailer is plugged into 120 vac shore power. If it's failed then of course it won't be able to supply 12 vdc to those devices.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

if the converter is not operating then the battery supplies power for all the 12v appliances. Hook up the battery charger to the battery and it will supply power to the appliances.

Something like a 120v breaker tripped or off in the PU and the converter does not operate and then the battery gets used and drained by the CO/propane detector!

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If the convertor has failed, your battery will supply power. This would be the same as camping without hookups

8. GreyFox

For a limited time, obviously. ;)

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Check your converter fuses, one may be out that prevents charging.

10. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

First things first....

What model converter is in your PUP? Before jumping to the conclusion that your converter is broken, find out the model and do some research - It may not have a charge circuit to charge up your battery...Mine doesn't.

From there you can determine if you have to manually charge your battery, or have something to fix/replace.

Good luck!

Erik

11. GreyFox

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure, but can the converter charge a nearly dead battery? I know when my car tried to charge my dead battery on the camper it blew a fuse. I agree about checking the fuses first before jumping to the fact the converter is broken. It's also possible the OP was expecting a faster charge than what the converter can actually handle. From what I thought I read it's more if a maintainer not a full three way charger. I could be wrong as I'm still very new to these newer converters.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I always have a cheap multimeter around... I check my battery terminals and like to read around 12.5-6 VDC on them telling me my batteries are somewhat full...

When the batteries gets down to around 12.0VDC tells me I am somewhere around the 50% full mark...

When I hookup to 120VAC at the garage this reading should jump up to 13.6VDC or what ever mode my smart mode converter is in. Mine will go up to 14.4VDC when in boost charge mode... If I see this jump up across the battery terminals this tells me my converter is working and connected to my battery terminals (No fuses blown)...

No guessing if you can read the DC Voltage yourself with a cheap multimeter ($10-$15 or so) from Lowes or Walmart..

Harbor Freight used to give you one if you purchased something from them $25 or more I think it was...

My batteries are the heart of my POPUP trailer and I watch them very close all the time... We mostly camp off grid...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. GreyFox

The OP's Fleetwood is a 2004 so although he hasn't told us I suspect his converter is probably a WFCO which replaced the crappy Centurion series Fleetwood had been using in prior years, including my own 2000 Santa Fe. Regardless, these converters are 3 stage, designed not to just maintain a battery but to charge it (eventually) to full capacity.

15. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

You're probably correct, but what came with the PUP isn't necessarily what is in there now.
    I prefer to start troubleshooting with facts, rather than assumptions.