Battery Recommendations?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, May 11, 2018.

1. razcob

razcob Member

Any recommendations for a battery for my 2012 Ranger 12?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

How much power will you need? What will you be running?

3. razcob

razcob Member

I admit that I am new to the Aliner/RV world, so I have some assumptions that may not be correct. I am here to learn, so let me know if you have a better suggestion based on your experience.

I plan to dry camp often. I have a 2000 watt generator that should be able to run the A/C and hopefully fridge. I am more concerned that the WFCO 8735 can maintain the voltage needs of an AGM battery. The specs say it multi stage with overcurrent, temp protection, etc., so I was surprised when others recommended a wet cell battery instead of an AGM.

Others have suggested that a wet cell will provide longer life, but I like the trade off of mounting the battery inside, without the need to vent it. I have read too many threads of people having their batteries stolen from the tongue.

4. razcob

razcob Member

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That AGM battery will do just fine. The only reason to pay the premium for an AGM would be to mount it inside. So if that's what you're going. That's a nice big AGM.
    I have 2x 6V batteries, but they're mounted on the tongue. So no need for AGM. 2x 6V batteries are a great $/AH solution and they take a beating.
    The fridge will run on propane, no problem. Barely uses any gas.
    The WFCO 8735 will charge an AGM just fine.

6. TNW

TNW Member

A you presumably know, the fridge can be worked off the LP system, at least my 2014 Ranger 12's fridge can. It uses very little propane in my experience and works great.

I have 2 AGM 12 volt batteries in series in mine. I've used AGM batteries in both my campers over the years with no adverse affects. It's been said they do not last as long as wet cell batteries but that hasn't been my experience. Only thing I have a problem with is the draw on the batteries from the WFCO 8735 converter. It does draw power from the batteries when nothing is turned on, nothing the solar panel can not recharge quickly but it is an annoyance, and if I'm where little sunlight gets to the panel it requires some time to recharge.

7. JimmyM

I'm assuming you meant parallel.

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Or he meant 6 Volt.

9. JimmyM

Ah HA! Touché

10. TNW

TNW Member

Yep, parallel, sorry about that. Don't have a 24 volt system in the Aliner.

11. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Go to Sam's Club and buy the biggest AGM battery you can find (about $160 I think). Leave it on the tongue, just add a chain and lock.

12. razcob

razcob Member

G-damn it!! I returned an agm because people on here recommended a wet cell. F I give up!! LOL!!

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Wet cell is what you want.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

X2

15. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

I did not have much luck with wet cell battery. Even I took it (Interstate group 31) inside and connected to a charger and automatically turn it on for 30 minutes a week, its capacity continued to drop from 5 -6 day of camping to less than 2 in 3 years.

16. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Prepare to be disappointed with regards to the air conditioner and a 2000w generator.

When dry camping run your fridge off of propane. Running it on 12v will run your batteries down in a few hours, so you'll be firing up the generator every two hours. Running it on AC will require you run the generator 24/7. But it will go over 20 days on a single 20 pound propane tank.

The 2000w generator will probably not be adequate for starting up your air conditioner. People typically use two 2000w generators in parallel for that, or a single 3000w generator. There are some newer 2200w Hondas that might be able to cope with a 13000BTU air conditioner if it's in good condition. Even so, you may need to install a cold-start capacitor. The problem is that while the generator may be able to provide 2000w of power for a few seconds, the spike of load during compressor-startup is often more than 2000w, and the generator won't be able to supply that power. The compressor will fail to start up, and could even become damaged.

17. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We have set of 2 group 27 AGM + controller + 55W solar panel on the truck, which bought in 2011 work very well (12.9-13.1V)until now(2018). We also have a set of 2 GC wet cell (6V) + controller + 100 W solar panel on the 2005 Chalet XL 1940 trailer (12.6 - 12.8V). Both solar panels keep batteries top off everyday. Look like AGM has better voltage.

WildmanWells likes this.
  18. razcob

razcob Member

This is some good information, however, my new LG a/c is 5000 btu and my 2K generator has run the a/c overnight, without any problems.
    The information about how long the propane will run the fridge is good to know. Thanks.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think a GM will work fine with that charger. If you look at the charging specs it's within the right range. I like 12v batteries. I have 2 flooded g-31 batteries. AGM are better batteries, but the cost is amost 2x. If you are going a AGM, Sams club has the best price. G-31 agm for about 170.

20. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

agm batteries have advantage that they take more physical abuse, whether it be bouncing around tilting at severe angles and they won't leak. the downside to agm's are about 1/3 less cycles and they typically have less ah compared to a flooded cell. as for what you need depends on you're power usage. I use a group 31, 2 of them in winter and a 100 watt solar panel. in the summer my power usage is minimal, the group 31 will last a week without a problem. in winter I use a lot more, furnace, lights get used more, that's why the second battery and the solar panel.

Tom Graves likes this.