Battery trickle charger worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by TheBlurb, Dec 16, 2019.

1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

Who uses a trickle charger for their pup’s battery in the off-season? Is it worth the cost? (Some are half the cost of a new battery!) Any issues with having one plugged in for so long?

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I have a Schumacher combination charger that I use to maintain the battery in the garage and when we are camping.
    Don't leave it on the charger all the time,check it monthly and charge as needed.

TheBlurb likes this.
  3. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

What is a “combination” charger?

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

A charger that has two charging rates. Three amps for battery maintenance and fifteen amps for rapid recharging at a campsite.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I use Battery Tender Plus for my all three of my wet cell batteries that are outside of the PUP. The two 12V pup batteries are on a PV charger which is active all year long - which is even better.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A trickle charger will boil a battery..constant current output. A battery tender is designed to be left hooked up without damaging a battery. Yes a good tender with multiple cycles can be pricey

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I have two Battery Tenders -- one for the camper, the other for the boat. Work great.

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

My batteries come inside for winter storage in a heated garage. With the UTV, there are three and I rotate the Battery Tender between all three all winter long.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Many people will bash them, but I use a Harbor Freight Float Charger, you can pick up for $4.99 some times. I have them on a mower and boat. Camper has a small solar panel to feed it.

10. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I've also used the Harbor Freight Float Charger and it works well for what it is. With the new house and having a place to store the batteries, they are in an attached garage now, so batteries from the sports car gets pulled out and left alone. Removing the batteries I have in my current camper setup is more challenging and because I'm solar powered, I go out and check every month to check the charge and put the solar panel out to charge them if needed.

11. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

Wow that’s cheap!

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use a three way charger also from Schumacher. Came in real handy when I got my camper back from the shop and find they didn’t disconnect the battery so it was severely discharged and a traditional battery tender didn’t even make a dent. It has three stages to charging with the last stage a maintenance charge. I have to bring my battery in, as my camper lives at off site storage so just hook it up to my charger. Every month in the winter I push the button to give it a quick maintenance charge and can forget about it again. Knowing It won’t continue charging even if it’s fully charged. I got mine at Walmart.
    Schumacher SE-5212A 2/10/50 Amp Automatic Handheld Battery Charger
    Schumacher
    $127.65

13. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We have two maintenance float chargers one HD name for motorcycle battery and a Stanley BC209W waterproof charger maintainer for the popup camper battery connected for a week each month during the off season. No issues so far MC battery lasted 11 years and camper battery lasted 5 years

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I keep the camper battery on a flat peice of wood in the garage hooked up constant to a interstate brand premium float charger during the off season. 5 1/2 years and 3 different campers and still going strong. When I bought my last camper I swapped the dealer and kept my old one, And still use it today