Battery when storing

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Joel Thomas, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Joel Thomas

Joel Thomas New Member

We are going to be moving our PUP from back yard storage to a storage facility about 30 minutes away because we are tired of destroying the yard getting it in and out. Our previous PUP had a battery, but it was never used and probably dead as a doornail anyway. Our current PUP has a motorized lifter for the roof so we want to have the option of the battery if we need it.

Would it be best to remove the battery when we take it to storage and bring it home with a trickle charger or to get a solar maintainer/trickle charger to leave on it at the storage facility? AS far as we can tell, there wont be a power supply at the storage facility so solar would be the only option

I am in Tulsa, OK so summers get pretty hot and winters are chilly but not crazy cold most of the time.

For reference, we pretty much always use shore power when we camp, but it's nice to know I would have a charged battery just in case. Thanks in advance!

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

best option is keep it at home - but you never said what type of battery - flooded lead acid (more likely) or AGM. Their maintenance requirements are different.

There are oodles of threads on this forum on this exact topic.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The last two winters, I took the cables off of my battery (flooded lead acid) and left it sitting on the tongue from fall until spring. The battery maintained a nearly full charge both winters.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would take the battery out. Mainly because I have heard through out the years of battries coming up missing in storage. Keep it at home charge it once a month for 24 hours.

5. davido

davido Well-Known Member

If you won't see your trailer for more than a month or two at a time, bring the battery home. If you see it at least every month, maybe skipping a month once in awhile, and you have the ability to keep it charged with a charge controller that is designed for long term maintenance, sure, leave it on the trailer.

If you have to buy solar just to keep the battery in good shape, bring it home. Don't buy solar just for that purpose.

The reason you need to visit your battery monthly is to check its fluid level. If it boils off fluid, it will cook itself eventually. Also, if you have a power roof, I think you probably really do need a battery. The load of raising the roof is pretty intense for a converter to be supplying without a battery as a buffer.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Remove battery ....store at home inside ....check charge once a month ....recharge as needed.

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I always took my battery off and left it at home during off season storage On a trickle charge . If something can be stolen. Off sight. It will eventually

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Keep it at home, on a maintainer not a trickle charger as these can boil a battery

9. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, I believe they say not to use the motorized lift with shore power. At least that's what I got told here about my Niagara.