Battle Run Campground, Summersville, WV

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by ShellRidenour, May 31, 2013.

1. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

We recently stayed at Battle Run Campground on Summersville Lake. We arrived around 1:00 p.m. on Friday, May 17, 2013 and stayed until Wednesday, May 22, 2013.

This was the third trip in our PUP and the first of the season. This trip was just DH and myself.

The back half of the campground, the area including the large play area, was closed for construction/renovation. It appeared to me they were running new electric to the sites, but regardless, with only about half of the sites available, they quickly filled before sun-down Friday night. Because we were there before the 'reservation period' we were unable to make a reservation, all sites were available on a first-come-first-served basis..

All of the sites have electric, but I only seen a few (maybe 5) that had water also, one of which was the Campground Host.

Most of the sites have a view of the lake with water access. DH used that as a reason to fish.

If you'd like to be ON the lake, instead of BESIDE the lake, Summersville Lake Retreat (up the road about 2 miles) offers boat rentals. http://summersvillelakeretreat.com/boat-rentals.html.

Overall, I liked this campground. I will definitely go back, and would not hesitate to take the kids.

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

nice to know, funny thing is myself and my bil was just talking about camping sometime soon in the summersville area over the memorial day weekend. i bring the pup and he bring the boat. is there a hp limit on the lake?

3. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

I don't think there are any HP limits. But there are several no-wake zones. A friend of ours brought their boat down and we went out for a couple hours on Sunday. It's absolutely beautiful!

4. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

We have stayed there a number of times but not since 2010. One thing to watch for...if you decide to go into town for something in the evening get back before they lock the entry gate. We goofed and had to carry our stuff we went for into the campground to our pup, and leave our truck outside the gate.. Oops!