be more specific

PNW Family

Super Active Member
Dec 3, 2012
1,015
I'll usually use "Seattle" with people from out of state, even though I'm 20 minutes north of there in a fairly large town. I'll narrow it down to "Everett" for Washingtonians, as it's big enough that just about everyone in WA knows where it is. There are those out of state who are familiar with it too, though they're usually Navy... (We have a naval base in Everett, currently home to the Nimitz while the Lincoln gets an overhaul)
 

DragNfly

Active Member
Nov 13, 2012
472
When we are out of state we proudly announce in a slow southern drawl we are from Texas. One of us smiles broadly, sticks out a hand to shake and looks bouncy. The other instinctively reaches for a sidearm.
 

hootn

Active Member
May 10, 2013
117
when folks ask me when we are traveling i tell them birmingham. further discussions tell the about hour south and east of bham.
having a southern accent i had fun with folks when i lived in buffalo ny. they would ask me where i was from and i would tell them, Bakersfield California. you could see the wheels turning in their heads figuring that out. after a bit i wold tell them...
 

logans

Member
Apr 1, 2013
19
If someone doesn't know where my hometown is I just point it out on my hand. Just one of the benefits of living in the lower peninsula of Michigan.
 

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
3,457
Anchorage, AK
Ask a military person that question and they will wonder if you mean where are they currently stationed, where they came in to the military, or where they claim their state of legal residence.
 

Indy

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
850
I say southwest Houston. If pressed, I say Sugar Land but we really live in the county outside SL.
 

dannyv11

Active Member
Jun 2, 2011
245
frdalton said:
Then I have to explain that north america goes further east than Maine....

Whaaaaaa?!?!???? There ain't nuttun' further east than Maine! Go Merica! :)


I say Chicago Suburbs (or Chicagoland), if they mention knowing a town within 40 miles, I'll just say.... "Yup, right next to it!" Everyone leaves happy.
 

CommaHolly

Active Member
Mar 28, 2012
508
DragNfly said:
When we are out of state we proudly announce in a slow southern drawl we are from Texas. One of us smiles broadly, sticks out a hand to shake and looks bouncy. The other instinctively reaches for a sidearm.

so which one does which? [LOL]
 

Yellowkayak

Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you
Mar 13, 2007
2,198
Don't feel bad I get peeved at folks who live in Texas too! "Where you from?" "Texas". Oh for crying out loud....it takes two days to drive across Texas, where in Texas specifically are you living? I'm from Texas too, but if someone asks me I say Wichita Falls, TX.......believe it or not, some folks tell me Wichita is in Kansas......it is, but Wichita FALLS is in Texas.....Ok where is that...North Central Texas against the Oklahoma border, 2 hour north, north west of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

When you live in a state this big, you really, really have to be specific. I've lived in Texas a good part of my life (half stationed here with the military), and I still don't know all the towns......lets see there has to about 10,000 of them or so, but who's counting!

JJ
 

CommaHolly

Active Member
Mar 28, 2012
508
Yellowkayak said:
Don't feel bad I get peeved at folks who live in Texas too! "Where you from?" "Texas". Oh for crying out loud....it takes two days to drive across Texas, where in Texas specifically are you living? I'm from Texas too, but if someone asks me I say Wichita Falls, TX.......believe it or not, some folks tell me Wichita is in Kansas......it is, but Wichita FALLS is in Texas.....Ok where is that...North Central Texas against the Oklahoma border, 2 hour north, north west of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

When you live in a state this big, you really, really have to be specific. I've lived in Texas a good part of my life (half stationed here with the military), and I still don't know all the towns......lets see there has to about 10,000 of them or so, but who's counting!

JJ

Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute,,,,,,,

I know for a FACT that it takes 121 days to drive across TX.

Wait,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,it FELT like 121 days,,,,,,,,August,,,,,,no air conditioner in the car.

THAT was a fun trip,,,,NOT!
 

frdalton

Member
Jul 5, 2013
12
hwy395lvr said:
My response to you would be: "Oh then you must know Avonlea, we are right around the corner from Rose Cottage adjacent to the King Farm""What time is the last train to Charlottetown?"

Sounds like you may have watched a bit of Road to Avonlea... I'm sorry to hear that :)

And the last train to Charlottetown will be sometime in 1982.
 

Grn Mtn

Super Active Member
Jul 3, 2012
764
When out of state, we say "Vermont". If the person is familiar with Vermont, we will name our town, the nearest large town, named mountain, lake, or ski area, depending on their frame of reference.

Actually, it's just a conversation starter, isn't it? If someone says "Chicago" I will want to ask them if they live directly in the city (urban), in a suburb, or in one of the many very rural communities nearby. That's just me though [:)C]
 

jdubois

Active Member
Apr 3, 2013
110
60 miles south of Boston
30 miles west of The Cape
30 miles east of Providence
Just this side of heaven actually
 

horrocks family

Boone, NC
Jul 25, 2008
177
Mars, PA
In NJ, we always said what exit off the Garden State Parkway we lived at. :) I was at 168 growing up. But then before moving to NC, we lived on the western side of the state -- about 20 min outside Philly.

I always say my location in terms of time. Miles don't really help me get a picture of where someone lives, but time does. Maybe that's from living in traffic/metro areas growing up, so it was always about time and not mileage. :)

Now, I'm in the mountains of NC -- Boone, to be exact. 2 hours from Charlotte and any kind of civilization. 45 minutes from Target. :(
 

frankvanw1

London, Ontario, Canada
Mar 18, 2009
374
London, Ontario
I always say "London, Ontario".
Some people think we are from "across the pond" if I say just London.
In Michigan or New York State I say "Ontario" rest of USA Or other countries "Canada".
Happy Camping, eh!
 

RichN

Member
Jan 23, 2011
53
Try being from Montana. 95% of the general population can't name a city in my state. Those that learned something in high school might know the capital. I just tell other campers I'm from Montana and leave it at that.
 

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
1,771
NC
RichN said:
Try being from Montana. 95% of the general population can't name a city in my state. Those that learned something in high school might know the capital. I just tell other campers I'm from Montana and leave it at that.
Off the top of my head, Missoula, Helena, Bozeman and Billings come to mind. That's the best I can do, though. I would love to visit MT someday.
 




Top