Beach Camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by The Manchacan, Feb 25, 2012.

1. The Manchacan

The Manchacan New Member

Any advice for what to do, what not to do, or what to do differently when camping on the beach?

2. Fire Captain Jim

Fire Captain Jim New Member

Prepare yourself for a steady wind and sometimes strong gust. If you have any weak spots on canvas, you might want to add some duct tape or something go prevent from tear. It is also more difficult to cook outside.

3. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

here is my [2C]

before my next trip to the beach I'm going to Camping World to get one of those brushes for your shoes(like they use at the golf courses) to clean your shoes. It sits on the ground and you run your shoe back and forth and it cleans the bottom and sides of your shoes. Also, be careful of overcast days.

4. The Manchacan

The Manchacan New Member

Very good idea about the reinforcement. Hadn't really thought of the cooking part, but I'll most likely be camping solo and usually just eat sandwiches and easy stuff like that to fix.

I really like the idea of those shoe scrubbers. I was thinking along the lines of a long handled bristle brush, but I like the other idea better. Thanks.

Any others?

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

got sand! be prepared to sweep from the wind blowing sand onto your site. We use a foot bath and leave shoes outside [8D]

6. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

We've spent a week on the National Sea Shore on Padre Island and it wasn't much different than other places. You do have a steady breeze off the Gulf. I made some stakes for my awning by cutting 6ft T-Post in half, drive them in with a sledge hammer. Used four, two each side of awning. Also set up an outside area with T-post's and tarp for the Porta John (5 gal bucket)with tarp on ground and around posts. Had 2 6vdc batteries(T-105's) along with the 12vdc deep cycle battery and a 2000w inverter and a 45w solar pannel for charging. Filled the fresh water tank on the Pup plus we had 3, 7 gal Aqua tainers for drinking water. About half a PU load of fire wood. All this sounds like a lot but the beach week was in the middle of a 6-week long trip, half of it boondocking, so we needed some extra stuff. Brought all our trash back out with us plus 4 huge trash bags full we had picked up. There were dumpsters as you left the beach and began paved roads again.

7. dnaconradny

dnaconradny Member

We're going to Nickerson SP on Cape Cod in August. For whatever reason had not considered the wind. Thought only of the sand. Any other issues to be concerned? What do I have to look forward to there?

8. MissLou

MissLou Member

If you leave your campsite unattended it's probably a good idea to roll up your awning and zip the canvas. We found this out from experience [A]. Thoses quick storms and gusty winds can blow up out of nowhere.

9. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

Landsharks. [WL] [EEK]

10. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

Pack light. Two pairs of board shorts, hoodie, sandles, surfboards. Thats all I take.

11. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

Unless things have changed since my last time there, wind should not be a concern at Nickerson. It's not on the "beach", so unless a front comes through, the heavy pines there should buffer any ordinary breeze. Bring your bikes if you have them, great paved riding in the park and the Cape Cod Rail Trail runs right through there. Don't miss Provincetown or the Beachcomber in Wellfleet and if you haven't been to the Drive-In movies in a while, Wellfleet's got one.

12. Appfan

Appfan New Member

After our last excursion, to VA Beach State Park, I picked up a battery powered vacuum. We had four of us in the trailer, DW and (2) DD, and was shocked at how much sand accumulated in our pup.

As for the awning, we didn't even bother putting ours up - it was waaay too windy.

If you don't already have one, get some form of area mat/carpet/rug to put out beside your pup. It keeps the debris down inside. We went with the woven vinyl/plastic type. The shoe scrubber is a good idea.

If you don't already, make sure to have a pair of needle nose pliers. I was constantly picking sand-spurs out of clothing and our entry-way carpet.

13. Freebie5

Freebie5 Happy Camping

Sand, sand, and more sand but hey it's da beach. We camped at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach and had a great time. We will definately be going back.

14. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Be ready to deal with alot of sand and wind. Therefore, don't put up the awning unless you want it on top of your camper and forget about laying a rug unless you can secure it. Cooking outside is a hassle during the day. At nite, it's not so bad. As for the sand, if your PUP has an outside shower, it'll get alot of use! Sand will find its way into everything no matter how careful you are. All of this are the joys of camping at the beach. We do it aleast once a summer, that's all I can stand. [LOL]

Campit

15. Surfing Grandma

Surfing Grandma New Member

I like the way you think. Yep yep!..but dont forget the wetsuit! [8D]

16. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

If your trailer isn't equipped with sand pads, make sure you bring small blocks of wood to set the stabilizer feet.

17. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Sweeping and sometimes, shoveling. 8" drifts!
    And sand in the bike gears.

[​IMG]

18. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

"After our last excursion, to VA Beach State Park, I picked up a battery powered vacuum. We had four of us in the trailer, DW and (2) DD, and was shocked at how much sand accumulated in our pup."

Hey Appfan, where did you find a battery powered vaccume??? Is it a hand held? The only ones I could find were either cordless that need charged on a base or ones with cords that you plug into your carlighter. I am going to Assateague in August and I do not have an electric site, and I don't think the cord will reach from the TV to inside the camper

19. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

We LOVE beach camping! Been to Assateague a few times and Every summer we camp at Southwick's on Lake Ontario in NY. The wind and sand are the biggest issues for us.... We try to turn the camper so the prevailing winds hit the bunk ends. Lots of sweeping and we put down a mat under the canopy to help with the sand. We also rolled our canopy in every night in Assateague in case a storm blew up...
    We also used solar covers on the bunkends to help reflect the sun.
    Happy Beaching!
    Tom

20. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you not put up any awnings. wind and storms happen fequently and come out of nowhere. some times late into the night the wind would really pick up and rattle my canvas and trailer, and at times I found it difficult to go back to sleep. Yes, sand will get everywhere, even inside your fridge!!!? when you get home make sure to open the trailer up and hose the canvas off as well as the underside of the trailer and tow vehicle to remove any salt residue. I camped at the outerbanks in NC last year and you can not have an open camp fire. [CP] you can have a grill fire for cooking and a propane " campfire in a can " gizmo but no camp fires, so leave the wood at home. I usually have lots of those glow in the dark sticks for the kids to play with at nite. I really loved it there at the outter banks and plan to go back there again.
    PATMD