Beach Camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by The Manchacan, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Appfan

Appfan New Member

I picked up a dewalt hand-held vacuum.
    This one:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202514539&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202514539&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d202514539&ci_gpa=pla

I went with dewalt as I also take their fluorescent light and drill as part of my travel toolkit. The interchangeable batteries is a big plus for me.

Cheers,
    -Appfan

2. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Love the beach, sand comes with it, wind seems to come with it also but every year we take a week in the sand.... :)

3. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

4. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

One of the things we do is turn our popup to the prevailing wind in an orientation that has the wind hit the camper on the end of a bunk as opposed to hitting the camper broad side...less shaking and canvas flapping that way.

Bob Pitney
    www.popupgizmos.com

5. azgilamonster

azgilamonster New Member

pretty much like everyone else say's no awnings up, wind picks up pretty fast, also need to watch how you park ( direction facing) as sandblasting does happen !

6. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Anyone try one of these? 12v wired, 1 gallon wet/dry. Only $30.
    Stanley 1 gallon wet/dry

Or the 120v version:
    micro

7. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

Just a tip: baby powder removes sand from skin. Just sprinkle it on and it helps wipe the sand away easily :)

8. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

Our travel agent recommended the same thing for our trip to Cancun!

9. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

My problem re the vacuums... We are going to Assateague Island, we were not lucky enough to get a site with electric and our pup is not equipped to run on battery power. I don't believe a 12v plugged into the TV would have a long enough cord to reach into the pup, and all the "cordless" need to be plugged in to 120 v to charge. We are going for 5 days and would definitely need charged!

I need a vac that is either cordless and can charge on 12v in the TV or one that runs on batteries. I have not been able to find either.

If anyone has any ideas let me know!

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'll join the group that recommends no awning in windy situations. Even if you have staked and/or weighted it down on the edge away from the roof all of the jerking and jostling caused by the wind will be putting a lot of stress on the roof itself -- more than it would experience in the same wind without the awning. The strategy of placing the PUP so the wind blows against a bunk end instead of the curb or street side is a very good one as well. There is less surface area for wind resistance. I've posted here a few times about the near hurricane-strength wind I encountered in Death Vally in October 2010. I don't think my PUP would have survived that situation without damage if I'd been broadside into the wind instead of end-on.

11. katheria

katheria New Member

Learn the SAND FLEA season...............

just take it from personal experience...

if you think mosquito bites itch.............

you dont want to experience sand fleas........

12. ricko

ricko Member

So.... if no awning, do you take a dome or something else for a dining canopy?

We're doing our first beach trip (with the pup) this summer - I'm notorious for getting fried on day1 - we were thinking of taking one of the coleman or REI screen domes - would they work?

Thanks

Ricko

13. atolman

atolman Member

Re: Re: Beach Camping

We've used a huge coleman dome for shade and dining. I also have an ez up that we've been using lately. Just remember to bring extra stakes. I buy the huge orange contractor stakes you can get at most home improvement stores. Drive those down into the sand and they don't budge.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

14. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

hey Bandc12:

I use a hand held car vac I got at the Auto Parts store. It runs on 12v and works great.(It's not cordless)

15. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Thanks sg1215... We are going to Assateague in August and we do not have a site with electric, we do not have battery power on the pup either. My concern is the length of the cord on a 12v from the TV to inside the pup. At this point though it may be my only option. Do they make 12v extension cords??!!

16. DLynn44

DLynn44 New Member

Beer and lots of it! :) Then you don't care about the sand and you welcome the wind. [:D]