beach fishing cart

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by chrisxs5, Jun 18, 2014.

1. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

So I decided to make a beach fishing cart that will fold flat in the pup. My requirements would be:
    • Folds flat.
    • Has Wheels.
    • Will hold at least 4 poles.
    • Will hold my tackle box.
    So here was my first idea, To use a folding cart that I kept in my car. Got some items to make it. But during the mock up it, I realized it would not work the way I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    So I hit the drawing board and went with the ole standby; PVC. Mocked one up and this is what I came up with.
    [​IMG]
    So mocked that up and decided to hit a garage sale for some wheels. And $3 bucks later I had some.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I glued the pieces together and gave it bedliner coating.
    [​IMG]
    I have already started adding the rod holders and will get pictures of the progress up tomorrow. I will also be adding a shelf that flips down to hold my tackle box. For the bakground to hold my gear in place for the shelf items, I found a motorcycle net for $2 at Harbor Freight.. Its all coming along and I wouldve had the entire thing finished tonight if it wasnt for the rain.

2. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Looks like a great start!! Thanks for sharing!

3. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Hmm, can't wait to see how this turns out...

4. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Great idea! Please keep us updated.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. I see people on the various fishing sites I also belong to try and make carts and yours suffers from the same problem theirs do, wheels are to thin and will bog down in the sand. You need balloon tires or tires like these: http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php

Your cart might work ok for pulling up and down a pier but not on the beach, sorry.

6. speckhunter80

Think about it, if you are going to drive on the beach you let air out of your tires to make the "footprint" wider. You wouldn't ride a Tour De France bicycle in a Mountain biking competition partially because the tires are to narrow. You want the tires to float over the sand, not dig into the sand

7. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

[LOL], I was hoping no one picked up on that. [:!] We only really camp at one place on the beach and I am completely prepared for everything to dig into the sand. I really wanted some BIG HUGE BALLOON wheels but couldnt find any in my price. I am hoping they dont bog to much in the sand. The big problem I am trying to resolve is organization around the camper and having to carry everything under my arms. The other problem is the walk from the camper across the parking lot (which this year I am much closer anyways) and over the decking.

I also will be using this in for local fishing which those wheels will come in really handy for sidewalk pulling. I will keep my eye out for some bigger wheels but for now, they will have to do.

8. speckhunter80

Harbor Freight is your friend for big wheels....speaking of big wheels...look around for a kid on a Big Wheel and steal it, those wheels are the bomb [;)] Seriously, if you see someone throwing one away or find one at a thrift store; those wheels work good.

9. speckhunter80

10. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

Didn't even think of the big wheel toy line. I guess it might be time for some more garage sale. I did go to harbor freight and look for wheels, I just couldnt bring myself to spend the money.

Never thought about the bucket and golf caddy. Would be harder to get the rest of my equipment on there as well. Too late now anyways, Im to invested into this design.

11. speckhunter80

If it don't fit in a 5 gallon bucket then you got to much stuff [:D]

12. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

Dont say that in front of my DW, she''ll agree and make get rid of stuff. [:(]

13. speckhunter80

Wweeelllll, it is kind of obvious that you have a problem between this thread and your toy hauler thread. :)

14. skiball

skiball New Member

When it comes to fishing, this is Gospel... You will never have enough tackle!!!

The same goes for my woodworking... I will never have enough tools!!!

Wives must understand this. But then again, My DW will never have enough shoes!!!

15. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    Oh, I havent brought that topic up with her yet! Im also rebuilding my neighbors fence, helping a buddy with a go cart. And, our ntu pup is only a month old so I having been playing way to much with that. All of this is driving her crazy! I think if I brought up making the pup a toyhauler I will be a single man. Which would give me more freedom! [}:)]

Nah, I would make it without her. [:D]

16. speckhunter80

I am well aware of how much tackle you need to be a fisherman. My tackle box is a 10'x12' storage shed filled with nothing but fishing tackle. But when wade fishing, surf fishing etc. I have learned to bring a minimum of tackle. I don't "eight and bait" I walk throwing artificials all the time so I wear a vest that holds either a couple of bags of soft plastic or a box or two with 5 lures each. If surf fishing I also have the cart with a five gallon bucket that can hold another 40 or 50 lures if I so wanted it to. In addition, it hold three rods and the fourth can be in my hand.

17. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

Finally finished my cart.

Here we are with the closed shelf.
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_191242_zps9c5242e2.jpg
    Opened (Obviously, right?)
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_191236_zps8c5c7220.jpg
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_191231_zps9390e79c.jpg
    Chain not needed, but adds more support.
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_190915_zps5d370257.jpg
    Front view
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_190902_zps08bbcf89.jpg
    Almost a fully loaded.
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_190833_zps7ecaf056.jpg
    Alternating rod loading. I also needed to stabilize the handle. So I added a little bag I had for my filet knives and to make the screws look like they do more than to stabilize the handle.
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_190825_zps3aafcc2d.jpg
    Pulls really nice... if I load it right. If the heavy weight is on the other side, it pulls weird.
    http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/chrisxs5/20140622_190818_zps7bab278d.jpg

18. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

Here is a parts breakdown
    [​IMG]

19. speckhunter80

Please take a picture of you pulling it loaded on a sandy beach and post it [:D]

20. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

I absolutely will. [:D]