Beach Sand...

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by LordHumongous, Jun 4, 2013.

1. LordHumongous

LordHumongous New Member

I have an '81 Palomino and my tow vehicle is a '96 Discovery. I'd like to haul this rig down to the beach for the day but am worried that initially the sand at the top of the beach entrance is extremely soft, 6''. After about 50ft it gets much more solid and compact. Does anyone have any experience with towing a pop up through sand? I'm thinking i'll just keep my speed up and blast through the soft stuff hoping my PUP doesnt get hung up on the sand. How much clearance is there beneath the trailer? Thank you in advance.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Haul a$$ and bring shovels, boards and rug to get you thru, then use the boards under stabs, the rug at your door and shovel to keep area clean [8D]

3. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I've driven on the beaches of the Outer Banks of NC many times. Soft sand is tough, especially with tires with a lot of air pressure in them. That 50 ft could be tough for you. I don't think you can air down your pup tires low enough to make a big difference, but do air down your TV tires to about 18 psi. It will make a big difference by giving you flotation.

Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

4. LordHumongous

LordHumongous New Member

Ok thanks guys, if I go for a lift kit what size tires can I upgrade to? I'm completely new to pop ups if you could'nt tell.

5. phalynx

phalynx Member

Obviously, you'll be in 4wd, right? The single best thing you can do in sand is to air down your truck. 18 psi is good but you can go down way lower if you need to, like 12psi or even less if you don't throw rooster tails make sharp, fast turns. But, start out at 18 psi.

On the other hand, for only 50 feet, I'd just power through it and use momentum. If you start to bog down and the tires are digging down, then stop before you get to the frame and then air down.

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Make sure there is a bigger rig around you when you go. It wouldn't hurt to keep some recovery tools with you if you plan on visiting this place often.

7. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have a winch.. Worst case get someone like me on the other end to drag you out if you get stuck

8. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

Without the trailer and with aired down tires your Discovery will walk all over that beach like a boss. I had a jeep wrangler and the only time I ever got stuck on sand was when I drove into the river to pull someone else out. Put it in 4hi and lock your rear differential (if equipped) first. If you run around in 2wd and end up digging the rear in you will have a much harder time than if you had just gone 4wd first and not dug in to begin with. Keep your momentum when possible.

With the trailer I have no first hand experience but people do it all the time with less capable rigs and heavier trailers. Try to avoid doing this (The good stuff starts around 30 seconds):
    http://youtu.be/CR4kTXalXb0

9. steved

steved New Member

Apples to oranges, but here's my experience.

I had a job site in Miami that required me renting and towing a tow-behind compressor (weighed about 3000#s). I had my personal truck (Dodge, 2500 Cummins, 4wd, 4.10s, 6spd manual) and had been back into this site several times without even cutting in (didn't even need 4wd, although I had the hubs locked in...just in case). The site was an unimproved lot, covered sparsely with grass...not all that solid, with mostly loose sand. As noted, in and out without a hitch...unloaded.

Put the compressor behind the truck, and I was plowing furrows with the compressor, and only moving around in 4wd. All four tires digging to maintain momentum, compressor was sinking in no less than four to six inches in the sand. Considering it had the larger 15" trailer tires on it...I would not have guessed it would have cut in as bad as it did.

I could not imagine trying to drag something similar on loose beach sand without it being modified (ie.g. wider flotation tires).

10. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

Last weekend was the first time I've brought my Yukon XL (Or any vehicle of this size for that matter) onto the sand. This is near Grand Isle, LA on Elmer's Island:
    [​IMG]

This was fairly dense sand and I had no problem driving all over the beach with street tire pressure. I was alone with my 2 small boys so I opted not to pull the camper out there. I wanted to try it to see how it was but didn't want to take that risk without another vehicle or even another adult to help out if I ran into problems. Based on how easy it was to drive on, and the fact that 2wd vehicles didn't seem to have any issues either, I'm confident I could pull the camper without issue especially if the tires were aired down.

Now, the Florida pan handle beaches (Although I'm not aware of anywhere that you can drive on, let alone bring in a camper) with their extremely loose and powdery sand would be a completely different scenario. I'm not familiar with the sand on NJ beaches but if your sand is more like the sand on the Western gulf coast (MS, LA, TX) I doubt you'd have any issues with some modest modifications for wider tires and a little more clearance.

11. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

I tow my 4300# hybrid on the beach all the time. Air your truck tire down until the sidewalls bulge and do the same for the trailer tires. I go through the soft stuff in 4 low and keep your momentum up until you are on harder packed sand. You should not have any problem with a pup. Where I camp Im one of the smallest campers on the beach and Im 21 foot long. People drag triple axle fifth wheels on the sand. Make sure you have a shovel and a tow strap. I got stuck really bad this summer because my trailer sits to low and was dragging in the soft sand. I was stuck so bad I had to disconnect the trailer and have someone pull my Durango out and the pull my camper out with his truck. Getting off the beach I aired down to about 15psi and kept it at about 20mph through the soft sand.
    Good luck! Have fun!

12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Keep in mind if you are talking about Ocean beaches then you are exposing the TV and the camper to salt. Having lived in North Carolina, I have seen a lot of cars ruined by exposure to salt. Think mild sulfuric acid and that would be about right.

13. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Yep, I know this post is ~yr old, but thought I would toss in my 2 [2C] anyway. I've taken my popup out to Pismo, just let the air out of the TV tires and drive easy. I didnt have any issues.

Camping on the beach can be fun :)

[​IMG]