Bear advice

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gardenbliss, Feb 19, 2017.

1. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Yosemite is a little different. They won't let you leave food in your TV, because sometimes a bear will rip your TV open to get to it. One time I saw some guys come back from a backpack trip. They thought they were safe putting stuff in the trunk of their car. A bear got into the car and tried to dig thru the back seat to get to the stuff in the trunk.

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yes, I always keep my bear in my fridge because bear are made to drink... [:D]

4. Ultralite

Ultralite New Member

Ive never had a problem setting this up in any campground, and it has the added bonus of giving my dog room to run around the camper, via access thru a doggie door. I have a few cheap solar lights that I stick in the ground all around the fence so people can see it at night. LOL!

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/bear-quikfence-12-35-12?prod_id=136315&utm_source=gmerch&utm_medium=merchants&utm_campaign=merchant_feed&gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-ZFCjtSqD3daulnh2Z1lENoGNLmUK0xJHSFVII5vInchoC607w_wcB

This company is great, they make electric net fences for just about any animal. You don't have to use the "bear" one, you can use any of them and it will keep bears out. Id highly recommend the posts with the double spike, and purchasing your own solar fence charger. You can easily hook up two or more fences and the longest continuous one is about 160 feet.

5. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

6. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

7. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Wow. Pretty tough. Bear can't get in, but whatever is in the bag is FUBAR anyway. [:D]

8. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

On that Fubar link, check out the bottom link where "a bear ate my GoPro". Pretty cool.

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

There are other animals that visit campgrounds....
    [​IMG]

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Where was that taken?

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We often camp in bear country, in Colorado, among other places. By habit, we keep a clean camp, and not just because of bears. Over the years friends and we have witnessed things such as: ravens breaking into a foam cooler and searching through it (they took the cold cuts), tear open and spread around an entire bag of charcoal, punch a hole in a blob water jug; squirrels running back and forth with paper towels they'd taken from a picnic table (for winter nesting), had mice in the vehicle (our Outback and both 4Runners ). Our friends stayed in a CG in AZ where they were instructed to leave the hood open, the pack rats were building nests in the vehicles (they checked after half an hour or less, and a nest had already been started - they left the hood up after that).

In the same Colorado campground I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was advised not to go to the toilet by myself after dark, since a mountain lion was in the vicinity.

On backpacking trips, we've used Garcia bear canisters for years. When DH got a backpacking permit in the Tetons on our last trip (10 years ago), the ranger was happy to see that he had his own canister. In some of the places we go, the canister is as much for protection from other animals as bears. (Makes a good camp seat too.)
    He even takes in Grand Canyon, much to the amusement of our friends who also backpack there, they use a rat-sack, which is a metal mesh. However, they had mice chew through the wrappers of bars inside the sack, and chew them well enough to be rewarded for their perseverance.

12. Jeramiah Johnson

Jeramiah Johnson New Member

You can control what goes on in your own camp, but not everyone elses around you. I would be particularly cognizant about what others around you are or aren't doing. A bear that will forage a campground to me is more dangerous than one you encounter on a trail. This animal has become habituated to and unafraid of human beings and now recognizes them as a source of food. Pending upon the rules of the house I'd "pack", but it's not always practical.

13. doggirl

doggirl Member

As I read through this thread I'm cracking up and thinking, us poor women. What else do we have to deal with??? LOL
    I can state with all honesty that this getting old thing ain't half bad, at least when it comes to camping!
    I picked this thread because I love animals and recalled a camping trip when I noted a sign warning about bear. I'm from the overcrowded shore of NJ where the only bears we see are the hairy guys from NY who flood down to hit the bars in the summer (no offense to anyone from NY or hairy guys - I'm not opposed to to either, despite the horrendous traffic they bring). I spent most of the first night of that trip awake planning how I would fight off any bear that tried to enter our pup and harm my son (hubby was totally on his own). They don't call dogs bitches for nothing - I view it as a badge of honor to care for offspring that much. So I got my B on and created a plan. I might have lost any battle with a bear but still hoped my bloody screams would awaken my husband, who might come up with a better idea. Then again, without his CPAP machine he might avert a bear incursion in the first place!!
    Anyway, as I read through the thread I noted there are bear in the Catskills? We're headed there in July, as remote a spot I could find to pacify my neurotic dog. Here are my questions:
    1) I presume its "only" black bear, and that keeping a cooler in the 4Runner is sufficient? As much as I don't want a bear in the pup, I don't really want it tearing apart the TV and having to explain that to the insurance company. There may be bear-proof garbage containers available at the campgrounds, but if not, can our garbage safely go in the TV?
    2) To counteract the messes created by hubby, the chef, I am the clorox wipe queen. But would using the attached outdoor gas grill leave too much attracting odor on the pup canvas? or camper? awing?
    3) Can we safely keep any leftovers (ie. half can dog food) in the camper fridge? What about the bags of munchies and canned goods we tend to keep stacked three deep along the counter? I'm clearly getting that that's really the stupidest thing we could do, and which we've always done.
    4) What's this hanging up a tree thing? Can't bear climb? Point is to find a remote branch and hang stuff off that or more for if you don't have a secure TV? Unless you'd advise going to far as to hanging the Weber grill, as I've read.
    5) So bear spray is a real things? Is it offensive, or defensive like pepper spray? and should we have it?

This info is really important because DH tends to think I overreact, while I tend to think it's far better to be safe then sorry when it comes to a bear. We've had our near misses with skunks, but a near miss with bear is really no miss at all. I'd like to show him your responses so he can see it for himself in black and white.

Final thoughts: to f5Moab - we lost our dear white malamute on Christmas Eve 2013. I miss her every single minute of every day of my life.
    LoneWolf - campsite neighbors who leave their food out are like hairy guys from NY at the beach who think it's fun to feed seagulls (again, only kidding!! It's usually the fully-plucked gals from NY who think it's hysterical to feed "a" seagull).

14. tombiasi

15. doggirl

doggirl Member

Thanks for the link!

As to our trip with the bear sign, that's all I saw. No instructions on what to do besides "beware." Certainly nothing else posted about bear or noted on the campground website. But I'm guessing the bear population in NJ isn't what it is in the real world and a general warning was sufficient, but enough to keep me up half the night. :0

These bear precautions are really gonna put a crimp in our eating habits. lol But I'm more concerned about the incidentals I never would have thought of, like brand of toothpaste. And breathing.

Anyone with experience with bear-prep at North-South Lake campground near Haines Falls, NY? Not sure whether I should believe that Yeti coolers are bear proof.

16. tombiasi

The bear population is quite large per square mile. They prefer to be north of Trenton though :)
    If a campground has a bear population there will be rules of conduct.
    One should not display a cooler, bear proof or not, in bear territory.
    It's a lure to them and they will enter the camp to check it out.
    Call the campground and ask about their bear policy.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I'm in Morris County and we have plenty of bears. Looks like we'll have to send some down south of Trenton [;)]

18. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Sorry about your Mal, I know how you feel about losing a Malamute. I lost one in 2011 and still miss her. But the two I have now sure keep me busy.
    As for bear spray, not recommended to use inside a trailer, it will blind you as well as the bear. However, under the right circumstances it does work. I have used it to stop grizzlies and I also carry a .44 mag when hiking. Bear spray does not have to be aimed as accurately as a handgun, so it is easier to use.

Biggest problem with a bear is coming across one with a cub or by accident (you're both surprised). And my experiences with black bears is they hear you and get out fast. I have seen them a few times, but grizzlies on the other hand are too darn territorial and think you want the territory.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We don't camp in bear country, that I'm aware of.

I did find out, however, that we live in bear country. Heading to the gas station/convenience store, that is the only thing for 15 miles in any direction, one night there was one dead on the road side that had been hit by a car. Not a 1/4 mile from our home and right on the edge of the woods that back up to our property. [:O]

Said dead bear had gathered quite the crowd and someone took it. Never seen one alive here, thankfully. Hope that was the last one in the area.

20. tombiasi