Bear Creek or Canvas Replacements?

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
I can only speak for Bear Creek, but I highly recommend them. The replacement canvas was perfect, even better than the original. The main bonus was the three layer windows. Canvas flap, tinted sunshade, and screen. The tinted sunshade was very handy. Though I don't know if canvas replacements has that or not truthfully.
I liked getting rid of the bulky curtains. Certainly closes down easier now.

Bullfrog Bheer

Super Active Member
Feb 19, 2010
Central Wisconsin
Both had about a 6 month wait. Both had our pattern and both had about the same price. The first thing I found out was the difference in material. Bear Creek was canvas while Canvas Replacement was Sunbrella. I did a lot of searching on the deference of that. I had read where someone with the Sunbrella had leaking on all the seams and had to seam seal the whole thing. I didn't like the sound of that. Spending $1000 on a whole brand new canvas and it still leaks unless you seal it and treat it didn't sound appealing to me. I was already doing that with my original canvas.
Also after a long talk with the owner at Bear Creek, to get as much info as I could, he even said if I decided to go with the other company and had any problems or challenges with installing it or anything, give him a call and he would be happy to try and help out and answer any questions. That sealed it for me. We went with Bear Creek.
Not to take anything away from Canvas Replacements. I just pretty much had my mind made up before I even talked to the guy.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Sumbrella is newer synthetic tenting. Better at, never needing waterproffing, it dosent fade or promote mold growth. The seams shouldn't leak if it was made corectly. Canvas, is good also, but leftover technology from the past. Both work.

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
Sumbrella is newer synthetic tenting. Better at, never needing waterproffing, it dosent fade or promote mold growth. The seams shouldn't leak if it was made corectly. Canvas, is good also, but leftover technology from the past. Both work.

Bear Creek uses a combination of materials.

They use a 13oz Vinyl type materials over the bunk wings, 10oz canvas on the walls, 18x16 tight mesh screen, and a tinted 12mil clear vinyl on the windows.

You kind of get a really nice balance with what they're offering.

The only problem I have with Canvas Replacements, is that they want payment in full up front ... that means they're hanging on to my money for more than 6 months with me not having anything in return. That just isn't right or OK in my books. If they took a small deposit, then asked for the balance up front a week or two prior to production, then I'd be OK with it.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
BTW Sunbrella can leak after years of use, at least in my experience. However, one application of 303 Fabric Guard did the trick, which is the Sunbrella-blessed way to re-treat it and restore water repellency. After that, it never leaked again in the following 6 years.

Even so, if I had to choose between canvas and Sunbrella, I would go with Sunbrella every time. There are fewer issues with it in the long run. And let's face it, if you're spending ~$1,000 then yeah, fewer issues please.

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Everything leaks over time as the weave separates. Sunlight, water, wind along with temperature fluctuations all efect this. Thats why up by me they take the awnings off the houses in the winter months.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
When you say Metroplex do you mean DFW?

I am looking for a replacement for my Jayco now. Do you have any info on where you got yours?
Yes, DFW. I bought mine from a small dealer up near Sherman. I think they were RV Max or something like that, but have since rebranded under the Camping World umbrella last time I drove up that way.

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Yes, DFW. I bought mine from a small dealer up near Sherman. I think they were RV Max or something like that, but have since rebranded under the Camping World umbrella last time I drove up that way.
Thank you! I will see if I can get a hold of them. We are in Wylie.

Do you know the name of the other places that found that also had it?

Latest posts