Bear @ North/South Lake State CG-New York

FSHNFOOL76

Mar 31, 2006
Sound Beach, N.Y.
We went to North/South Lake CG for Memorial weekend with 2 other families. It was supposed to be 4 families all together but 1 of them couldn't make it. Since their site was paid for in advance and we were all next to each other, we used the empty site as our communal kitchen site. We had a great time and great weather. The sites were clean and the size was okay. We were on #33 and the other sites in the group were 34, 35 and 40. I think 40 was the smallest.
The only problem we had was a young black bear that kept trying to visit my site. He never made it onto the site, at least while it was light out, but got as close as trying to go up a tree that was about 10 feet from the camper at one point. All food and drink were kept in the vehicles at all times except while we were eating.

The rangers told us that it might be around when we checked in, and to keep an eye out for it. When we told the rangers that it was around, they just said ''okay thanks.''
At one point my dog actually broke her choker collar and ran into the woods after it. We didn't even know she did it until she came strolling up next to us when we were at the site we were using for the kitchen. The people on the other side of us told us that they saw a black dog chasing the bear. That would be Ginger. Luckily, the bear didn't decide to turn around and stand up to her!

Anyway, campground is nice, beach at lake is nice and bathrooms were pretty clean. The only thing that would have been better was if we were at a waterfront site. We had to use the truck to transfer the kayaks to the lake when we wanted to use them.

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
There are a couple of places I like to go in the western NC mountains where a nightly bear visit is not that uncommon. They must have a schedule to keep because rarely are they ever spotted during the daytime. We did have one show up just before dark one time but it had been raining most of the day so we suspect the bear thought every body would be inside!

I've awoke at night hearing "sounds" ... which I have found to be either bear or raccoon raccoon. A couple of times I knew it was a bear and he/she/it was making the rounds picking off the easy stuff left out - after leaving our site you could hear the camper's hollers and screams on down the line!

popuppartyof5

Are we having fun yet???
Mar 21, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
I used to be a Park ranger at North lake in the mid 90's. ( I was also and bathroom cleaner, booth girl all of that fun stuff ) I am from that area and visit every summer. Black bears were always a problem. We used to carry pepper spray and fog horns. We also had some dogs come in one year and chase some very large and bothersome bears out of the park. That worked really well . :) As long as you put your food away you are good. The best was when someone left their cooler on their table. Needless to say I was checking loops and came upon a bear enjoying some yummy food and scooping out powdered iced tea mix. He seemed to enjoy that very much. . People used to follow them thru the woods with their cameras. DROVE ME CRAZY!!!! Glad you enjoyed yourself and I am heading up that way in 2 weeks to spend a few weeks at my parents house. I miss the mountains, trees and cool air. Did you go hiking at all? Their are some great trails with some beautiful views. There are also some AMAZING letter boxes in the park. If you have never tried letter boxing you should check out atlasquest.com Good family activity to do while camping. Glad you had a nice time

FSHNFOOL76

Mar 31, 2006
Sound Beach, N.Y.
I didn't go on the hikes. Most of the rest of the group did and had a great time. I either went kayaking or took a trip to the Empire State RR museum in Phoenicia. I've never done letter boxing but I think my son has done it on some of his boy scout trips. We will definitely go back to N/S Lake in the future.